L# Alternative(s) to boiling/baking driftwood
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeAlternative(s) to boiling/baking driftwood
DonkeyFieldMouse
Small Fry
Kudos: 10
Votes: 0
EditedEdited 31-Aug-2009 22:40
I am reaquascaping an older aquarium. I've been following the instructions here;
http://www.tetra-fish.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2268
However, its been soaking for several mounths in the salt solution, instead of the weaks pescribed, and I was wondering if I could skip the boiling/baking part, of find a another way. (Pots not large enough, nor is oven)Essentially looking for another method to sterilise the wood.
Post InfoPosted 31-Aug-2009 22:37Profile PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Where did you get your driftwood from?

I'm rather worried about salt solution on wood, wood is very porous and would (I would think) absorb a lot of salt. You'd then run the risk of releasing the salts back into the aquarium.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 01-Sep-2009 00:24Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
I would rather use a bleach solution (10% plain household bleach in water), rinse it off, then allow it to dry (any remaining bleach would evaporate when it dries)... would be a lot quicker than a month too.

><>
Post InfoPosted 01-Sep-2009 01:55Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
I've never boiled or baked my wood. I purchase all my wood from the LFS and expect it to be all okay. I've never had a problem.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 01-Sep-2009 02:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DonkeyFieldMouse
Small Fry
Kudos: 10
Votes: 0
The wood was collected freshly if you wold. As in, dead branches on the ground, not store bought.
Post InfoPosted 01-Sep-2009 04:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I worked with Wood most my life and have a litle knowledge about it.
All boiling does is soften the outer surfaces and it breaks down faster. Sure it will kill any surface nasties bit that is about all.
Collection DW can be a huge problem. 99% of the time you have no idea what species it is or where it came from and how it was grown.
Sure I have collected some but that was in tropical Aust where the wood would have been in the ocean for years then baked in the tropical sun for years.

The only safe way to treat DW would be under high pressure steam sealed containers and even then it will take a long time depending on its size and species of timber.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Kreith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 01-Sep-2009 05:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
If you want to try it, I'd just soak it in a bathtub for a few days in freshwater, change the water daily, and see how it goes.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 03-Sep-2009 13:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies