Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeNew Pictus Trouble
JBennett181
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 46
Votes: 2
male usa
i have a new 25 that ive had for aobut 2 weeks now and i have 2 veiltail angels 1 gold gourami one 2 spot those are about 4-5 inches and i also got a moonbeam all are acting wonderful and getting along( i was told i couldnt pull it off, that theyd fight) but i also got a pictus and for the first day he stayed at the top of the tank and now he just stays in the same spot on bottom very little movement, dont know what the deal is or have any ideas on how to get him going help anyone?

i like feesh
Post InfoPosted 06-May-2008 04:17Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
EditedEdited by keithgh
How big is the pictus? also I think your tank is way too small for a pictus. They can be very flighty but at the same time nothing under 3/4ins is safe they have big mouths and big appetites especially for small fish.

Even in my 5ft tank they were shy and spent a lot of time in one of the two caves plus hiding in several other spots.
At feeding time they would dart out and get food and dart back again. I no longer have them and I think the BNs are breeding again.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 06-May-2008 07:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
pictus catfish enjoy the companies of others.
Just look at em in the LFS...hundreds schooling together.
Also, too many fish in that sized tank, i hope you can keep on top of water parameters!
Post InfoPosted 06-May-2008 19:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
JBennett181
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 46
Votes: 2
male usa
haha ive already recieved plenty of criticism but so far my water is staying perfect and my fish are getting along great, when i got the pictus he was in a way smaller tank all on his own and was swimming plenty and very active

i like feesh
Post InfoPosted 06-May-2008 23:52Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
amilner
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 654
Votes: 0
male uk
Pictus are very skittish and are a predatory shoaler so will like to be with others. In a smaller tank it may have been ok on its own but moved into a bigger one, it will need others to reassure it.
Post InfoPosted 12-May-2008 01:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
daddySEAL
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 68
Votes: 3
male usa
EditedEdited by daddySEAL
What can I say about the pictus cats that I have:
1) they are nervous, paranoid scitsoid fish....Ha!
2) a single one in the tank with other varieties of fish will "feel lonely" and swim up and down the ends of the tank endlessly(top to bottom, top to bottom) or "hang" vertically with his belly against the end of the aquarium..."longing to excape"...or find others of it's own kind. If yours just lays on the bottom in the middle, not moving....maybe his(chuckle!)morale is broken and has "given up".

3)they are Insatiable eaters and will stuff their bellies past the point of bulging, if there is more food to eat...even fight over it with other stuffed bellied pictus cats, as if they were starving!

4)Again they are paranoid scitsoid and will harrass other pictus even with plenty of hiding places for them all...racing around like maniacs.

They are fun to watch, because of being so active in groups...but they are totally NUTS!!

HaHa!
dS
Post InfoPosted 15-May-2008 19:07Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
daddySEAL
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 68
Votes: 3
male usa
And I'm hearing the Pictus Cat "mad" sound again, as I write this right now after putting food in my "community tank"....I just got off work , from them frantincaly fighting over food and "warning" other PC to stay away from it....Ha!

Have you ever here their "chipmunk" kind of warning/mad sound?
Post InfoPosted 17-May-2008 01:01Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies