AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Species
 L# Cichlid Central
  L# Had Bolivian Rams (2) for 3 days now babies!
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeHad Bolivian Rams (2) for 3 days now babies!
mnventurer
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 31
Votes: 34
male usa
EditedEdited by mnventurer
The time was finally right and I picked up two Bolivian rams. In the pet store they were in a crowded tank and moving around a lot but at home they've just picked a corner under some plants and just chill out there. They don't do too much. Are they just adjusting? I've had them for three days. The bigger one once parked himself in a cave on the other side of the tank and would chase other fish away when they came by but that's about it except for when they first arrived they scouted out the perimeter of the tank. I thought they'd be a little more active.

Anyhow they are great looking fish. They look like they're watching you when you watch them. And they eat funny. I might be too used to my Danios who are always zipping around.

Saint Paul, Minnesota USA 20g Freshwater Started June 10th 2008
-> Tank Info In Profile <-
Post InfoPosted 23-Sep-2008 18:39Profile PM Edit Report 
mnventurer
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Babies already?!

I've only had 'em 3 days and now the rock they guard is covered in extremely tiny oatmeal-looking dots. This has to be eggs. Guess they like their new home. If they live will anyone want some B.Ram babies?

Post InfoPosted 23-Sep-2008 22:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I have had Bolivian Rams for a while but never seen any eggs possibly eaten by the CLs. They are not afraid to move other fish out of their area. I had one that was nibbling at the fins of a big Hoplo catfish. They are always active and as far as I am concerned not a difficult fish to look after.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 24-Sep-2008 06:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mnventurer
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
More... (even though I'm just writing to myself )

I thought the oto's ate the babies or even the rams but they moved 'em to a hole. Now there's a nest of little wigglers! Wow, this is exciting. Now I see why people post about their fry all the time.

Post InfoPosted 24-Sep-2008 23:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
wow, interesting! I have a pair of Bolivians, but I think they are both boys, so no eggs for me lol. Mine were pretty shy at first for the first week or so after I brought them home. but, once they got used to the new tank and tankmates, they range all over the lower portions of the tank and get along fairly nicely wuith each other, and pretty much ignore the rest of the tankmates.

I can't wait to hear how the fry are doing!

/:'
Post InfoPosted 01-Oct-2008 01:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mnventurer
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
EditedEdited by mnventurer
They were doing great until the giant danios found them. There was about 30 of them grown to about 1/4 inch. But the danios zip through the protection of the parents and eat the babies. Now there's only 8 or 9. Anyone want some giant danios? I'm going to see if i can get a little breeder tank and a turkey baster to save any that are left after work today...

Post InfoPosted 01-Oct-2008 17:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies