Subscribe"Purple" Tiger Barbs
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
While planning to fill out my shoal of Tiger Barbs once my tank cycles and returns to good health, I have been looking at the various Tiger Barbs: Green/Albino and this thing on my LFS webtsite called a Purple Tiger Barb. Here's the photo they put on their site:

http://www.jackspets.com/freshwaterabb.htm

scroll down for the purple one...

I am wondering if these aren't dyed or not. I have been searching high and low for information on this particular species. The only thing I find that mentions them is usually in an article about dye-ing fish. I don't want any part of supporting that deal.

Does anyone know if this is a naturally occuring morph or what?
Post InfoPosted 10-Jul-2007 03:10Profile PM Edit Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
Might just be a misnomer for a black ruby barb strain that has leucistic traits , thus looking a bit purple, or possibly a green tiger barb that has been selectively bred for leucistic traits. Basically a kind of semi-albino. Purples are possible, but they will be rare, expensive, and not very distinct, and if there is any black ruby barb in the genes, the purple may only be periodic.

That particular specimen doesnt look bright enough to be dyed, but I wouldnt put it past some scumbag to dye a tigerbarb purple.

Check with the retailer before ordering any fish so labeled. Obviously i'd never encourage anyone to buy a dyed fish.

Post InfoPosted 10-Jul-2007 03:21Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Soidfuf
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 52
Votes: 12
male usa
Check out this link and read under "Notes". It states that Purple Barbs ARE dyed and should not be purchased.
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/show_article.php?article_id=433
But if the picture of the Purple Barb you are looking at is not the same as the so called "Halloween Barb" then I have nothing else to tell you.
Post InfoPosted 12-Jul-2007 17:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
thanks for the feedback.. my son spottted that purple critter... I am going to stay with the greens, albnios and regular tiger barbs... I don't want any part of dyed fish...
Post InfoPosted 17-Jul-2007 01:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
eat_ham222
-----
Banned
Kudos: 72
Votes: 16
male usa
Good Work! DONT BUY DIED FISH!!!!!/:'
Post InfoPosted 22-Jul-2007 20:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies