L# What type of danio if any?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeWhat type of danio if any?
reun
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 216
male usa
well, i am overhauling my 29 gallon over the next few months. i have already employed a new heater, and have aquired my new filters and powerhead. when the tank is finished, there will be half the tank with some pretty calm water, but the other half of the tank is going to have a pretty good current.

i have been researching what to add to a tank with 5-6 cherry barbs and 6 corys. the tank will be overfiltered, planted, with lower lighting. water will be about 7.5ish PH (its 7.8 now, but im thinking the large amount of driftwood i will be adding to the tank might drop it a bit). 9 Dh hardness.

so, what i have been reading is that danios fit those water conditions and enjoy the current that will be created.

anyone have any suggestions? the few LFS in my area seem to either have or can get most of the danio species. would one be better than the other? how many should i get of which type? will they even be ok in this tank?

thoughts?
Post InfoPosted 22-Sep-2008 03:03Profile PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
My thought, zebra danios are pretty hardy, I've never really bothered to pay that much attention to the water chemistry.

They'd enjoy the currant. I'd stick with the smaller species as a 29 is a taller rather than wider tank, and to my knowledge most danios really enjoy swimming space. Keep in mind also that as it is a tall rather than long tank you're going to have less surface area and therefore less room for gas exchange so smaller slim bodied fish and don't push the stocking.

That's my thoughts.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 22-Sep-2008 05:14Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
If Danios can be used for cycling tanks and breed at the same time I dont think you can get many fish tougher than that.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 22-Sep-2008 07:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
reun
-----
Big Fish
male usa
the tank is 18H x 12D x 30L in US inches.

it is a bit taller, hence why i will be running 2 airstones, 1 home made 250GPH canister filter and a aquaclear 20 over the back filter, and also a aquaclear 50 powerhead with air enabled.

so, thats the hardware.

the tankmates will be 2 male cherry barbs and 3 female cherry barbs, and 6 peppered corys.

i have found a couple smaller danio species, that stay under 2" instead of getting 2+ inches like zebras. i can most likely get them, they are going to be expensive tho, so i would like to get the right variety the first time!

there will be some heavy planting on one side of the tank, but most of the other side will be WIDE open with a little bit of driftwood and very strong current.

which danio and how many should i get, if any at all?
Post InfoPosted 23-Sep-2008 01:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
EditedEdited by Shinigami
Hmmm, what species of danio are you talking about that are that small? Danio rerio is not a very large fish to begin with, a school would do fine in a 29 gallon. When Babel was saying "stay with the smaller species" I assume she meant not to go for any of the Devario species (ie. giant danio). I assumed most of the Danio species were approximately the size of the zebra danio, if not larger (usually pearl danios, for example, seem to be sold at a larger size than zebras).

If you're going really small the miniature danio species are Danio erythromicron and Danio margaritatus (previously Celestichthys margaritatus). Buuuuut IMO for the price I wouldn't treat them like other danios. Plus, IMO it's irresponsible to try to keep D. magaritatus without attempting to breed this species. Personally I would probably keep these fish in species tanks or in a tank where they're the only non-benthic fish (ie. I might keep them with Otos or something).

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 24-Sep-2008 22:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
reun
-----
Big Fish
male usa
yes, some of the species i was talking about were the minature varieties.

if zebra danios will be fine in a 29 gallon i will plan on them.

can anyone give me a idea about how many would make a good school in my tank? again, tank mates are 5 cherry barbs and 6 corys.

will 6 be a good number?
Post InfoPosted 25-Sep-2008 09:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
reun
-----
Big Fish
male usa
any thoughts on school size yet? from the replys everyone seems to be suggesting standard zebra danios, but I still dont know what would be a ideal school...I would greatly appriciate any help anyone could offer as to the number!
Post InfoPosted 03-Oct-2008 06:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kunzman96
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 91
Votes: 115
male usa
I don't think they are a true schooling fish so don't expect them to stick together in the space you are placing them. They are great fish though that are entertaining. In my experience they like to play tag but only out of fun and nothing mean or aggressive. I had 8 in my 29 gallon bowfront when I bought it but they were alone for quite a while. Take into consideration what other fish you have when making your decision. As was mentioned before you want to understock to be safe with a tall tank.

"Talk is cheap. Action can be almost as affordable"
Post InfoPosted 12-Oct-2008 08:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
reun
-----
Big Fish
male usa
EditedEdited by reun
well, it would be over the inch per gallon rule to have 6 corys and 5 cherry barbs and then 6 or so danios(if i chose zebra danios). the cherrys get to about 2 inches, and my corys are 2 inches as well.

i wont have a centerpiece fish or anything else in the tank. the goal will be to have it planted, and it will have way overkill filtration and plenty of surface air exchange...large air pump and 2 very large air stones...and not only will it have over 300gph of filtration from dual filters, it will have a aquaclear 50 powerhead with air as well.

anyway, with weekly water changes, will a small school of zebra danio's overstock my tank?
Post InfoPosted 12-Oct-2008 13:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies