L# General Freshwater
  L# 6ft long tank, would like angelfishes and
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribe6ft long tank, would like angelfishes and
Starfish
Fingerling
Kudos: 19
Votes: 0
black knife ghostfish would this be a problem if not what else could i have.

I am an upgrading fishkeeper i have had neons,guppies, goldfishes but wishing to upgrade to the above two just doing my ground work first.
Post InfoPosted 22-Jun-2010 01:07Profile PM Edit Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Shouldn't be a problem. You can also keep just about anything with angels and black ghosts that are community fish and not too small to be eaten by either of those (anything the same size or smaller than neon tetras are possible prey).

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 23-Jun-2010 02:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Starfish
Fingerling
Ok now i have been researching high and lows for fish species and so on.

Angelfishes and bgk are still on the list however i wish to add to that list

tank size is now between 6-9ft or 270ltrs-300ltrs(not sure what that is in galls)

feel free to play around with that list i have been told from other sites that mix i cannot have all together due to parameters. Also african cilchids are easier than the american mix and more colourful.

What i am wishing to achieve is a tank with community fishes that are interactive and lots of colour

angelfishes was 10-15 but now its 5-6
bgk - 1
moonlight gourami 2
dolphin cilchid 1
bolvian ram 2
red jewel 2
clown loach 4
common pleco 1
ruby black and tiger barb 6-9
Neons 20+
bronze cories 6-8
electric yellow or blue cilchid 1 or 2

what household items can i use as ornaments in the tank. thanks.
Post InfoPosted 29-Jun-2010 23:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
Kudos: 1350
Votes: 730
female australia au-victoria
I would ditch the dolphin cichlid and the electric yellows and blues. You will find them a too different in temperament and water requirements to the other fish.
Check out keyhole cichlids, and apisto cichlids in the profiles here as alternatives

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 01-Jul-2010 23:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Starfish
Fingerling
Thanks for that and well i am researching into this alot and those african cilchid species are off the list and the tank is now

8ftlong and will be put together as a custom set up by the awesome staff at the pet shop i went to visit.
Post InfoPosted 02-Jul-2010 00:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
Sounds great Keep us updated

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 02-Jul-2010 02:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Starfish
Fingerling
oh i will be.
Post InfoPosted 02-Jul-2010 02:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
EditedEdited 03-Jul-2010 21:32
8 ft tank? Nice.

I still wouldn't go for a common pleco though. They get pretty large; this is not a problem necessarily with the size of your tank, but a large fish like a common pleco can get pushy and can make aquascaping the tank difficult. A few bristlenose plecs should do the job just fine, provided you give enough hiding places, as they won't share hiding places.

You could probably make the schools of fish larger, ie. corys, tetras, barbs.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 03-Jul-2010 21:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Starfish
Fingerling
EditedEdited 03-Jul-2010 23:58
Can I??

As I am doing my research I keep taking fishes off and adding fishes to the list. I have just about got it sussed just checking one more species out and I will edit this post. I said i would edit. and here is the list in blocks of species and also with the temperment.

1st block

12 tigerbarb:20-26,pH6-8,Black ruby 22-26,pH6-6.5,cherry 23-27,pH6-8(not adding them all at the same time but spread out.
1x pleco not sure which one still
10x Blue Ram 25-29,pH 5,7.5

2nd block

8- Geophagus Jurupari 24-28,pH 5-7
4- Moonlight gourami 25-29,pH 6-7
4- Blue Gourami 23-28,pH 6-8

3rd block

5-13 Angels(unsure on excact numbers) 24-30,pH6-8
6- Yellowbelly cilchid 22-30,pH 6.5-8

Last

1 bgk 23-26c,pH 6-8

if there is a problem with that list feel free to let me know and i will fix it when i look at that list however it does look pretty good. Now the next fun part getting the tank
Post InfoPosted 03-Jul-2010 23:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Ira
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 181
Votes: 1
male newzealand
If your tank is 6-9 feet and only 300 liters it's going to be a VERY narrow tank. It's way too small for your second and third block list of fish. Those jurupari won't even be able to turn around without hitting the sides. The angels won't be much better.

Your first block, if your pleco is a bristlenose should be fine. But a common, redspot, goldspot etc will get way too big for such a narrow tank.
Post InfoPosted 04-Jul-2010 12:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Starfish
Fingerling
it isnt going to be 300ltrs.

it will be 8ft long. and more than 300ltrs its going to be like the 4ft long tank with 1,200ltrs but longer with more ltrs to it.

measurements as its here

2400mm,88.5mmwide,84.5mmhigh and this is going to be a custom built
Post InfoPosted 04-Jul-2010 23:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Ira
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 181
Votes: 1
male newzealand
I hope you meant 88.5 cm high and 84.5 cm wide otherwise that tank is going to be 17 liters.

So about 1700 liters. Why didn't you just say that rather than saying 270-300 liters?
Post InfoPosted 05-Jul-2010 16:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Starfish
Fingerling
because i am learning about this as i go along. woah what a naughty thing for me to do. I feel like i am being persecuted just for learning and being slightly unfamilar with the sizing etc etc.

Post InfoPosted 05-Jul-2010 23:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
No you arent. It does make a big differnce to your stocking abilities and what we can recommend though. I wish I had that much tank to play with!!

Post InfoPosted 06-Jul-2010 11:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Starfish
Fingerling
how much of a difference?? And what do you mean that i am not.

I havent gotten the tank yet and at the moment i am trying to figure out what size tank to get and yes i want it to be

8ft long but not sure width and height and there are a few species that needs the height and width i need to figure for.
Post InfoPosted 06-Jul-2010 11:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
EditedEdited 06-Jul-2010 12:17
You're not being picked on sweetie... We just tend to have a few members that are VERY enthusiastic about the aqua hobby. Some of the members do it for a living! With that being said, you should be a little more specific with the measurements. I can't remember the conversions for Centimeters to Inches, (I really don't want to have to remember it), we do have a tank size calculator in the INTERACTIVE section of the site. The size of the tank makes difference, but the size of the surface area is very important. It means there is more water to air contact; therefore more surface to agitate equals more oxygen for the fish. As far as compatibility goes, you can check out this link:
www.aquaadvisor.com

Might I suggest when looking to stock the tank, you look for different groups to swim in different areas of the tank, i.e. top, middle, and bottom? The first block is on the button with that idea. Although, you will want to make sure each of the barbs added are of the same size. Otherwise your most mature (larger) group of barbs will assassinate a younger (smaller) group. [I love the color scheme of the barbs you picked. LOTS of color there!]

Okay, I've said my piece. I'm going to slowly fade into the background...

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 06-Jul-2010 12:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Starfish
Fingerling
EditedEdited 06-Jul-2010 20:46
are you saying that i may not be able to add all the fishes i have in the blocks in the same tank,why i put them in the blocks is that is how i will add them to the 8ft tank but i am trying to figure the height and width which the pet shop will be able to do lol. I researched thier personalities and got information from other people about thier personalities and compatabilities. And also i aim to get all as babies so they grow up in the tank.

I had a look at the interactive and huh??? lol i will when i get home copy and paste some of it

What sizings are some of yous recomending?? for the tanks

I will hope to have time to drop into the same pet shop i went to last week and ask them to pull out thier measuring tape lol so i can look at the sizing and go yeap that should be big enough and they can get the pricing for me... And oh these guys are fishkeepers themselves so they are able to help.
Post InfoPosted 06-Jul-2010 20:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies