Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeBest Saltwater filter?
bodangit
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 37
Votes: 10
male usa
Alright, I'm going to be setting up a FOWLR really soon, and I was wondering what is the best filter for a SW aquarium in everyone's opinion. Man, I can't wait to set it up!

Post InfoPosted 31-Mar-2006 04:44Profile PM Edit Report 
sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
Kudos: 5164
Votes: 932
male usa us-virginia
The best in my opinion is live rock, because it removes nitrates as well as nitrite and ammonia, is readily available, and comes with an interesting assortment of critters. As for supplemental filters, there are a lot of options. Canisters are popular, as are wet/dry sumps. I don't care for the sumps with bio-balls (they can be a hassle to clean), but the sponge-containing versions are okay. Sumps give you a bit more room for error with the tank, because they provide extra water volume. They're also handy to hook up your equipment to, so it doesn't take up space in the main tank.

One other very important filtration device is the protein skimmer. If you buy anything, buy one of these. They're great for reducing tiny particulate matter, and really shine when used in conjunction with live rock. I highly recommend a skimmer.

And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell: "One more Marine reporting, Sir! I've served my time in Hell."
Post InfoPosted 31-Mar-2006 05:00Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
bodangit
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
EditedEdited by bodangit
I'll probably do 45lbs. of Fiji LR with 30lbs. of base rock. I don't think I have the budget for a sump, but as for a filter, do you know of any good power filters? I'm not exactly shooting for something expensive, and I will have a SeaClone 100 protein skimmer. These seem to be the most convenient for a hang-on-back design.

EDIT: Also, what should I do about curing the LR? Do I just put it in the aquarium and do WC's like there's fish in there? Will it cycle itself? I read all sorts of different things on that and wasn't sure what to do.

Post InfoPosted 31-Mar-2006 05:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
I agree with Books here. LR is the way to go. That and a good amount of water circulation do a great biological job. As for supplementing, I'd recommend an overrated Aquaclear, just use the mechanical and chemical(phosguard, carbon) portions of it, and make sure to clean it out frequently, like twice a week, som nothing starts to break down into nitrates.

Also, what should I do about curing the LR? Do I just put it in the aquarium and do WC's like there's fish in there? Will it cycle itself? I read all sorts of different things on that and wasn't sure what to do.

Yep, I'd just make sure that ammonia levels don't get crazy.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 31-Mar-2006 21:05Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
fishkid99
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 218
Votes: 39
male usa
I like my aqua clear 110 HOB. But ur tank may need different but if u want a HOB get one that is rated for a tank twice the size of ur own.

>>>----> <----<<<

pnh
Post InfoPosted 31-Mar-2006 22:40Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
bodangit
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Alright, thanks. I wasn't sure if I needed the chemical part because of the protein skimmer, but I guess it doesn't remove chemicals.

Post InfoPosted 31-Mar-2006 22:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies