mughal113
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 160
Votes: 64
male pakistan
EditedEdited by mughal113
Hi,

Well, I've finally started studying saltwater. Actually, we are four friends in that local fishkeeping club (if u can call four persons a club). We've been thinking of starting saltwater tanks. Two of us already have. These are FOWLR tanks to start with.

An idea that we have been thinking about is the DIY salt. We have made salt mixes for Mbuna tanks and have been able to keep the pH pretty stable, at 8.1~8.2. The requirements for a saltwater tank are pretty similar in pH, KH and GH terms. The other thing we have to consider is salinity. Can rock salt (without any additives) be used for the purpose?

I know there wont be any trace elements in that. But i know ppl who dont change water in their tanks at all. All they do is to add trace element suppliments regularly. As for nitrates, I dont know how they manage them Same can be done if we start adding those suppliments from the day one!

I was just thinking about the feasiblility of this DIY project. Do u think it would work? I'm pretty confident but since i have no experience with saltwater, i thought I should consult the experienced ones first. The aquarium salt prices in our area have triggered this idea.

Please provide your expert opinion, even if the whole idea sounds stupid Thanks in advance.

-Mughal
Post InfoPosted 24-Apr-2007 17:36Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
I have to say first that it's possible. The salt you buy at the store is synthetic. Therefore, sea salt can be made DIY.

That said, I don't think it's a very good idea. The manufacturers of synthetic sea salt have been at it for decades and have delivered a salt that, when mixed with RO water, gives a "close approximation" of sea water near reefs.

You have to remember that SW fishes are much more sensitive to water chemistry than african cichlids, and a mix of some buffers and NaCl, even at the right salinity is most likely to kill them. There's notable quality differences between brands of salt, and if you can notice the difference between salts with so much R and D put into it, then yours isn't going to come close.

The people you know that don't do water changes are risking the lives of their fish/inverts. All closed systems need water changes, even if traces are dosed (they don't make ALL the traces for dosing). You can't test for all the components of seawater, so it should be reasoned that trying to maintain the right levels of those components is therefore impossible without water changes.

IMO buy the salt or keep FW fish.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 24-Apr-2007 21:45Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
People still complain that synthetic salts aren't close enough to true saltwater. Some go so far as to buy actual ocean water that has been filtered and packaged. Maybe just maybe if you were doing a fish only tank with the hardiest of marine fish but otherwise I don't think it's even possible.
Post InfoPosted 24-Apr-2007 22:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ACIDRAIN

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 1381
Votes: 416
male usa us-ohio
The people you know that don't do water changes are risking the lives of their fish/inverts. All closed systems need water changes, even if traces are dosed (they don't make ALL the traces for dosing). You can't test for all the components of seawater, so it should be reasoned that trying to maintain the right levels of those components is therefore impossible without water changes.

I must disagree with you here. If done properly, and set-up properly, then it is more than possible. I had one of my FOWLR tanks that I did not do a water change for over 5 years, other than to top it off. And I used tap water back then. I never lost a fish in it. You can establish a SW ecosystem set-up. It takes time and a whole lot of experience and knowledge. It is not for the beginner though. As for removing nitrAtes, that is what macro algae and cheato are good for.

My last reef tank was up and running over 3 years without a water change as well.

DIY salts;
As for this idea, well, I am from the old school where we did just this. We all actually used to use Morton brand table salt. And then we added after market trace elements. Very few lfs back in the day, had any SW fish or equiptment. I had to drive about 2 hours just to see a store that carried SW fish and SW stuff. But, the trace elements were for sale everywhere. As back then we did not have RO water either. For fish that needed the softer and lower ph water, we used rain water collected in buckets that caught the water from the gutters off the roof.

However, as stated already, today it would be foolish to try to do all this. As with the research that has already been done, the ease of using prepared SW mixing salts and such that already have a good mixture of trace elements, is a much better idea than doing the playing around with them thing. At least you know the levels of all the trace elements are going to be the same everytime you do a water change.

But, for my SW FOWLR and reef tanks both, I still prefer tap water over the RO water. My tanks are smaller now, and don't have sumps, so I do water changes, but I use tap water. As it contains many or most of the trace elements you will be adding back. I just use a carbon filter inline, and then add some calcium and a few other things. The carbon filter takes out the chlorine, and most of the phosphate. But just to make sure, I use a phosphate sponge in my filter to remove any phosphate that got missed by the charbon filter.

There is always a bigger fish...
Post InfoPosted 25-Apr-2007 01:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
I must disagree with you here. If done properly, and set-up properly, then it is more than possible. I had one of my FOWLR tanks that I did not do a water change for over 5 years, other than to top it off.

I agree with this, but I'm not I'm not ever going to be recommending it to anyone just starting out in SW. Most people have a hard enough time keeping params in check and fish healthy while doing regular water changes.

Besides a few rare cases, water changes are very beneficial. I'm not aware of too many reasons not to do them. If you are like AR here though, the 800 tanks might add up to time and $$, but for most people water changes are pretty reasonable.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 25-Apr-2007 01:51Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
mughal113
----------
Big Fish
male pakistan
EditedEdited by mughal113
Thanks for the input guys.
On another forum, I've met people actually using the DIY salt. Waiting for some inputs form them as well.
I totally agree there is no point in re-inventing the wheel. But there is no harm trying that IMO.
Hopefully, I'll get the "formula" ready by this weekend and start a 20g. Will update once done.

-Mughal
Post InfoPosted 25-Apr-2007 18:26Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Melosu58
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 86
Votes: 0
male usa
IMO PWC`s are very necessary as they take care of a two fold problem. One they take care of trace elements that are depleted during the normal routine of fish and coral husbandry. There are supposedly 89 different salts in real sea water that make up most of the trace elements. Synthetic salts come close to covering those trace elements. The second is that they dilute excessive nutrients that cause disease and nuisance algeas. I personnally do weekly PWC`s and have done so for 9+ yrs. I`m not downing anybody that does not do them just stating my experience.
Post InfoPosted 05-May-2007 23:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
The harm in trying is the death of the life forms your keeping. If there was no risk of life then lots more people would probably be trying to make their own salt. Since there really is no good reason not to use the already developed salts(cheap, easy to get) and a reason to use them(have proven to keep critters alive) I don't see why anyone would want to DIY unless they were extremely experienced with tons of research and years keeping marine aquariums behind them and are trying to keep a very sensitive species that needs something even better than current synthetic salts. Personally I'd leave the experiments until you've successful kept a saltwater tank and all it's inhabitants healthy for years on premade salt mixes. There are enough things to worry about, mistakes to be made, and things to experiment on without trying to reinvent the wheel at the same time. When it comes to saltwater tanks you could probably keep yourself busy for a lifetime on things that have not been attempted or even thought up yet.
Post InfoPosted 06-May-2007 04:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mughal113
----------
Big Fish
male pakistan
Hi,
Yes, the risk is there. But I would call it "calculated risk". I have been working on a lot of chemical calculations involving the molar equivalent masses of elements present in salt water and the relative solubilities, their effect on pH alone and in presense of other chemicals during the last few days. As per theory, the prepared solution should be close to the sea water, at least in concentrations of major chemicals.
I'm pretty confident and my first tank is up already. Hopefully, the results wont be as aweful!

-Mughal
Post InfoPosted 09-May-2007 09:29Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
For anyone who is determined to follow this highly experimental route, the following link might prove useful:

Abundances of the Elements courtesy of Kaye & Laby's Tables of Physical & Chemical Constants (maintained online by the National Physical Laboratory in the UK).

Turn to the column marked "Sea Water". Figures are given in fairly unusual units (micrograms per litre) but that's because they're dealing with ALL the chemical elements and have to take account of some with very tiny abundances. However, I would caution against adding some of the elements in that table to your marine aquarium - I don't think your fishes would appreciate even tiny amounts of Uranium!

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 12-May-2007 22:05Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
mughal113
----------
Big Fish
male pakistan
Hi all,

Its been six weeks since I introduced my first fish in the DIY salt tank. Now the number has increased to three fish (1 clown, 2 chromis) and one Astraea Snail. All of them seem to be doing great, feeding normally and the fish are very active. I think I can call the experiment a success now.

-Mughal
Post InfoPosted 18-Jun-2007 14:07Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
chris1017
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 421
Votes: 70
male usa us-maryland
Well, keep us informed. It's been a month now, how is your tank comming along. Hope all is well.

chris
Post InfoPosted 15-Jul-2007 05:04Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies