Post InfoPosted 19-Aug-2007 06:33Profile PM Edit Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
Basically, the point of a sump is to add water volume. For example, if you had a 30 gallon sump with your 55 gallon aquarium, you'd have 85 gallons of water in your system, and you could accordingly stock higher.

Additionally, you can keep things in the sump that you may not want to keep in the aquarium for a particular reason. For example, if you don't like the look of hornwort but you want its ability to remove nitrate, you could throw a bunch of it into the sump and your tank stays pretty.

The sump is plumbed into your main tank. Here's a picture of a tank/sump system. The sump is the small tank on the bottom. You can see the clear tubing going down to it.

Sumps are pretty rare in FW systems. It's much more of a salty's domain.

Hope that helps.
Post InfoPosted 19-Aug-2007 06:44Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
amilner
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 654
Votes: 0
male uk
I always had internal filters in my fresh and never thought anything of it. I then moved up to marine and opted for the sump system. Now I have sumps on my fresh as well as marines and wouldn't go back unless space limited it.

The added volume is obviously a great thing and the amount of space within the tank itself - as previously stated, you don't have to 'hide' things. For me, however, the best thing is you can do all the maintainence (water change/ medication/ extra filtration/ segregation of sick or fry etc without disturbing the main display.

Currently have 3 sump systems at home - 5ft marine, 5ft SA cichlid fresh and 3ft community fresh and I honestly find its easier and quicker than working on the one 'traditional' internal filtration tank.
Post InfoPosted 06-May-2008 00:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies