AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# General
 L# Getting Started
  L# A 180 litre (almost) Blank Slate...!
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeA 180 litre (almost) Blank Slate...!
moose
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 43
Votes: 1
male uk
EditedEdited 01-Feb-2010 16:01
Hi all,

I've just overhauled my tank of the previous occupants (don't worry, they went to a good home!)

In short, I've got a juwel 180 litre vision (47 Us gals or 39 Uk gals) with 1 bristlenose pleco and 4 black skirt/widow tetras.

I'm looking to definitely get some easy thing like guppies and neon tetras, some kind of small alage eater/s and probably some platies/mollies/swordtails.

The question is: How many can I get? What would be the suggested number of each? And maybe, any other fish suggestions!

Thanks in advance,

Moose
Post InfoPosted 31-Jan-2010 18:07Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
How old are your black skirts? I'd say up that school to 8, but if they're reaching the end of their time in your tank you may be better off sticking with the undersized school. Especially if you're sticking with calm and peaceful.

You already have an 'algae' eater, I'd say just get bottom feeders like corys or loaches if you want more activity on your substrate. They're schooling so pick the smaller varieties (ie no clowns!) so you can get a good size school built up

Neon tetras would work, but they tend to be an over bred under cared for breed in stores and often just cause a lot of trouble for the keeper. Maybe look at some of the other smaller tetras if you're looking to add some color to the tank. Be careful with livebearers that they don't overpopulate the tank .

^_^

Post InfoPosted 31-Jan-2010 21:40Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
moose
-----
Fingerling
male uk
EditedEdited 01-Feb-2010 16:55
Hi Babel and others,

Thanks for the reply.

So, I've been to the shop and so far I've got:

8 Guppies
5 Amano Shrimps
1 bristlenose plec
4 Black widow tetra.

I'd like to possibly get some cardinal tetras and dwarf gouramis, would you say that this is possible? If so how many?
Also do I have anymore room for a few more shrimps too?

In answer your question babel, yes the black widows have been in for a while, I could get some more but would rather not if you approve?!

Thanks again,

Moose
Post InfoPosted 01-Feb-2010 16:00Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Never kept gouramis, so I cant really say on them. So long as they're not too aggressive towards the black skirts you should be ok. They seem like the only ones that might pick a fight with them as BNs seem to be fairly mellow as far as fish go.

Cards should be fine. Be sure you plan for a big school of them, I'd say minimum of 8.

Male guppies might harass the skirts a tad, depending on your male to female ratio, due to the extra finnage that skirts have but it shouldn't bother them much. Be sure you have more females than male guppies. I seem to remember reading 1M to 3F.

We do do our best to keep fish in their proper schools, but IMO when they're getting to that age it's hard to go out and buy new fish to replace missing school mates. We've had 1 silver dollar left in our tanks for a while, would get more except they're pretty expensive ! and who knows if the adult would even hang out with juvis! Right now he's hanging out with the silver sharks which is pretty funny to see. Your black skirts should be ok since you don't have any overly aggressive fish in the tank.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2010 00:06Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
EditedEdited 02-Feb-2010 03:21
I'd actually be more worried about the black widows harassing the guppies than the other way around...

Dwarf gourami and cardinal tetras should be just fine.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2010 03:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
moose
-----
Fingerling
male uk
EditedEdited 02-Feb-2010 13:40
I would hate to start an argument, but it seems that the black skirts have become a little timid since the guppies arrived!
I've got 3 males and 5 females which isn't quite what was recommended.
A very small baby female seems to have crept into the bag from the shop so you could say I've got 6.

Should I get more female guppies or skirts?! I'm thinking that the black skirts may still have some time left!

Also, more importantly, am I anywhere near a full tank? I'm not sure how to work it out, but lets say my ideal was something like:

2/3/4 dwarf gourami
10ish guppies
8-9 cardinals
6-7 black skirts
1 bristlenose plec
8-9 amano shrimp

Would that be ok? If not, please amend the list!

Many thanks again,

Moose
Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2010 09:52Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
I think everyone but the BN will have a go at the shrimp. Is the tank planted with lots of hidey holes for the shrimp? I would stick with just 2 Gourami and then you can bump up the schools. But you may not have to bump up the guppies as they will do that for themselves, given time.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2010 13:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
moose
-----
Fingerling
male uk
Indeed, probably 2 gourami will suffice.

The question still stands: Am I anywhere near capacity with this updated list??

2 dwarf gourami
8 guppies
8-9 cardinals
6-7 black skirts
1 bristlenose plec
8-9 amano shrimp
Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2010 14:06Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
You're certainly not far from capacity, I'd guess. What're the dimensions on that tank?

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2010 19:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
hca
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 434
Votes: 211
female usa us-illinois
I'd say the gouramis and black skirts are definately going to think the shrimp are a snack.

And Id say you are really close to being fully stocked with that list. check this out...

http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php
Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2010 20:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
moose
-----
Fingerling
male uk
What an awesome website, thanks very much!

I think I'm just about done with questions.

Thank you all,

Moose
Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2010 21:03Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies