---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Driftwood will always make a tank cloudy.

When treating wood with boiling water it's best to only do it for a few minutes anyway as it can break down the wood (think of how paper is made)

Soaking and changing the water is what will remove tannins. Since it's already in the tank pop in some carbon for a day or two, that will remove any issues with the driftwood (sorry if there was confusion above, carbon for tannins floss for particles).

Sorry, don't know that plant, try a separate post in the planted forum for that one.

Any chance of us seeing pics? I'm intrigued by this driftwood!
^_^

Post InfoPosted 29-May-2009 01:53Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
Dracaena is a terrestrial plant, it won't survive long submerged.

><>
Post InfoPosted 29-May-2009 03:08Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
Superlion thanx, I read that in the internet google just after I posted it. I returned it today.

I'm trying to get my eldest daughter to take pics and load them up. It's almost ready. I still have to get a heater just in case, but my temp has been reading 75F to 2 days without one. I tested my water, ZERO nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia. PH is 7.6 The water is brownish from the driftwood, but it's pretty to look at anyway. I found some great Amazon swords to line the back with and a baby anubia nana for the front middle. I had an extra piece of slate we decided not to put in the 55, along with a few general boulders. I'm trying to keep it simple.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 29-May-2009 22:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
EditedEdited by kellyjhw
I'm having a problem locating the same heater that I have. I shot Penn Plax an email. I know they will be prompt with a reply. I'm just being a little precautious, since the nights haven't been over 60F. I don't want to transfer the fish and have a chilly night. I just know I'd lose them. The original plan was to put the 3 unmatched angels in the 40 gal. My daughter actually pointed out the logic, that the lovebirds need their own, if the fry is to have a chance.

Superlion that was great advise on the pre-filter. I actually had to change it yesterday. It was so full of particulate, the output on the filters were at a trickle.

I have that white stuff coming out of the wood now. I don't think I should be too concerned with it though, right? Actually my husband says it's a clear, brownish color and it looks like SNOT.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 04-Jun-2009 21:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
EditedEdited 01-Aug-2009 04:19
Ordered the heater last week. Will have to go to the Post Office to pick it up. (I keep missing the delivery.) Goldie started picking at the airline tube on Thursday, which is my que that she's about to spawn. The water has been testing great, so I popped her and Bulldozer into the 40 gal. I got eggs before the night grew dark. They are soooo much more relaxed in the tank alone. As today goes by I'm seeing quite a few eggs go cream colored. But at this time it's still more than 3/4 of the batch a healthy clear brown. (fingers crossed) We're hoping for a natural birth here, without any interference.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 13-Jun-2009 05:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
Got the heater today, but we're down to a little less than 1/2 of the eggs going bad now. I put extention tubes on the filter intake, to pull more particulate out from the lower part of the tank. (this was before I knew I'd have to pop my pair in.) Now, I won't be able to change my prefilter, until I get wigglers. (Goldie laid the eggs on a leaf right next to the intake.)

I'm still working on getting those pics of the tank and the wood. My 'puter is still down for the count. Hopefully we'll have a working computer this weekend. I have a couple of friends helping with a custom build.

I keep having problems with glare and reflections when I try to get a good photo of the tank. The water is still tea colored so it makes it hard to get a good photo of the wood. It's almost like it camouflages it. I may have to take it out of the water to get a good pic. I don't want it oozing on me.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 13-Jun-2009 20:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Any chance you can carefully remove the leaf to another tank?

For photos, make sure the room is dark and the only light on is in the fishtank. Don't use the flash on your camera, instead set it on a tripod or flat surface and let it take a pic with a slow shutter (careful not to nudge it). If there is no way to turn the flash off cover it with a piece of tissue.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 14-Jun-2009 02:04Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
I finally got a few pics without glare. I posted them in photo booth too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kellysfishylife/

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 15-Jun-2009 20:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Oh wow, that driftwood!

it looks like a hand

Nice!

^_^

Post InfoPosted 19-Jun-2009 10:24Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
Yeah, it took us about half an hour in the store to spot it. At first I told my husband no. It's too heavy and awkward. He pointed out that it had character. I told him it looks like a giant alien hand. He said in his best "Pinky and the Brain" imitation "YES!" That sealed it!

I'm loading more pics on flickr, but I'm still having a problem with glare. (Even after covering the flash with tissue.) The water is slowly clearing, which I think is one of the problems. The other is the light on the tank is pinkish, to me. It doesn't seem to make it very bright in the tank like the other tank is. I'm going to have to remember to get a daylight bulb. I keep forgetting when I get to the store. Oldtimers kicking in more often.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 19-Jun-2009 20:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
I just happened by the LFS Sunday and came across 2 little plants. The reddish, pinkish one I know is a crypt. The green one not so sure. Any way when I got home I started to rinse them off and found the baby green plant tangled in the roots. I've been floating them in the tanks they will be planted in. I intend to plant them today or tomorrow. Can anyone give me a positive id for them?

I had a little bad luck, in that my water heater died. While getting it replaced, my youngest noticed a daylight bulb I had stashed away months ago. (might have been a year ago) I switched that one with the pinkish one today. I will take more photos of the tank. The lighting is much better. The next set of photos of the tank will probably be taken and loaded Friday. I need to scrape down the glass and such. I did an experiment with the shop light off the 4 ft tank and those pics came out a lot better than with the original pinkish light bulb. I've loaded a few of those to flicker today too.

Enjoy

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 23-Jun-2009 17:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies