SubscribeCommon Brown Snails
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
have invaded my 10g... Is there such a chemical out there that can rid me of these little monsters? I tried a couple skunk botias, they ceaselessly harrased the other fish, especially the Betta I used to have in there. I tried a couple kuhli loaches but they didnt live terribly long.

I an only assume that I didn't rinse my new plants off well enough and some snail eggs hitchhiked their way in.

I am also in the process of attempting to rid the same tank of a columnaris outbreak with Pimafix, aquarium salt and Furan-2. I've lost a couple harlies to the outbreak.

There's 2 panda cories and 1 harlequin raspbora left so I'll be re-stocking at some point.

amm- 0ppm
ites- 0ppm
ates- 0ppm
pH 8.2

16-20 hardness

80 degrees temp (I have no real way of cooling the tank other than via water changes)

thanks!
Post InfoPosted 20-Jun-2009 20:02Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Even if there was a chemical to remove all the snails you will have more problems with the dead ones then there are all the eggs that have to hatch.

I would not put any thing else in that tank until you fix your current problems. I had a similar problem no idea how a snail came in at all.
I went and bought a small CL left it there for a few months then put it into the 5ft tank where it has not stopped growing.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 21-Jun-2009 05:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
male usa
I'd love a clown loach and I do have a 4ft 55g tank full of Tiger Barbs, Black Ruby Barbs, Dwarf Neon Rainbows and Silver Tipped Tetras... I bet the CL would do well back there after he cleans the 10g. hmmmmm interesting!

Post InfoPosted 21-Jun-2009 14:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Seeing as you're dealing with other issues in the tank I'd say try and do as much as you can by hand.

I've found that if you crack the shells open with your fingernail the fish take care of the rest.

Might also cut back on feeding a bit, I've always noticed more snails as a result of increased feedings.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 22-Jun-2009 00:40Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
I fully agree with Babelfish you must address all the other problems first. By squashing them you will have some control but it is the CL that will remove them 100% providing you leave the CL in the tank long enough.

You will be surprised how fast it will grow once it starts on the snails. On average they seem to grow 1cm per year I am sure mine doubled that in a few months. I did let him grow on a bit before I transferred him to the 5ft tank.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 22-Jun-2009 02:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
male usa
Per the thread I began in the Hospital forum, I am going to knock out the Columnaris, or at least completely dose the tank along with the prescribed water changes before I og and grab a new little "clowny..."

Then, watch out snails!
Post InfoPosted 24-Jun-2009 02:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
male usa
Alright.... I treated the Columnaris, got the 10g really sparkling... The new little clonwy is in there and ready to hammer some snails... I have had him almost a week, havent seen him eat one... I will be watching! There's plenty for him to eat lol
Post InfoPosted 07-Jul-2009 04:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Scott
He is possibly having a good feed of all the eggs first. It also will depend on how big he is too. If you have nothing else in the tank go very easy on the feeding.

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 07-Jul-2009 05:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
How's it going with the snails.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 30-Jul-2009 17:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies