Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeStarting Marines
Tom
---------------
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 300
male uk
yeah, best thing to do will be wait, and get it right when i have the chance to, after my 150gal is set up, i do have my eye on a nice 75gal (350 ish with everything).
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Stipajio
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 630
Votes: 1
male canada
That was great Calilasseia. Everyone should read this, even if they aren't thinking of saltwater. Lots of it also applies to Freshwater tanks too.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:20Profile ICQ MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
misha
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 0
Votes: 0
female australia
Right! So what is a good start up for a marine start up? What size tank and do the filters, air pumps and lights - are they all different considering the size of tank that you keep or ?? I am not too sure - you see so much stuff around and different sizes of pumps etc, that i am not too sure which you need and speaking to salesmen is so hard cause all they want is your money most of the time. I would like to set up an octagonal tank - say about 95 litres, but not too sure what pumps etc to get for it? Please let me know. By the way I love the start of this conversation Calilasseia- very awe inspiring - i am raring to go now! i am excited!!!!
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:20Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
Misha, the golden rule is this: buy the biggest tank and most efficient filtration setup your wallet can stand, and stock it very lightly

If you have in mind what you're going to keep from the onset, tot up how many inches of fish you'll be looking at when they're fully grown. The usual rule quoted in the textbooks is one inch of fish needs about 6 gallons (UK) of water, but for safety I'd understock and go for 1 inch of fish per 10 gallons - you can NEVER have enough spare capacity in a marine aquarium!

So if you're looking at a dozen Humbug Damsels, for example, which reach about 3 inches, that's 12x3=36 inches. For safety, you're looking at 360 gallons to keep them happy

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
misha
-----
Small Fry
female australia
Thanks, but what type of filtration do I need? What size?? I am going to start buying things soon and would like sizes per size tank/litres. Like if it was a 95 litre tank then I would need this size pump etc. How big do clown fish grow and is ther a site which tells you about marine fish and pictures of them which is easy to understand?
bonny
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Engineer in waiting
Kudos: 498
Votes: 7
male uk
I think 1" to 10 gallons is going a little overboard.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:20Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
raider_fish
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 1340
male usa
Great article. I am preparing to set up a 58 gallon reef right now and I could use all the help I can get. I don't know about the water chemistry of SW yet, but I haven't set up the tank either. Where can I find that info? I also need recommendations about what equipment I will need. Thus far I have a sump. I know I need a heater, water pump, and lighting. What other equipment should I get for this size reef? Thank you for your help.

Raider_fish
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:20Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Zack
---------------
Fish Guru
Kudos: 259
male usa
The thing I don't understand about the live rock only filtration is where is the mechanical filtration in that? What keeps the water looking sparkling clean?

I, too, think that 1 inch per 10 gallons is a bit too much. However, for a new person, at early levels of stocking, I guess it's not bad.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:20Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
The irony is that some of the biggest failures are experienced by FW aquarists crossing over to marines, who aren't prepared for the considerable extra workload. After all, FW aquaria can be relatively low maintenance affairs because most of the popular FW fish are pertty robust, but the same does NOT apply to marines ... Marines are NOT low maintenance by ANY stretch of the imagination!

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
DeletedPosted 23-Mar-2006 19:14
This post has been deleted
seann
-----
Small Fry
that was great thanks for all the great info Im trying to open up my own aquarium down here in Puerto Vallarta mexico Im an active fishermen and snorkling and have seen so many great species down here and there is no aquarium and I think that is a sin I check out www,puertovallartafish.com for on this subject everytime i go snorkling I see something new
again thanks for all the info
Post InfoPosted 11-Oct-2006 19:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mobius
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 2
ive kept fw's for 8 yearsnow, so science i was 6. i dont know much about sw fish, bu ive heared somewhere that its not how big the fish is, rather how much swimming space it uses

amazing article/:'
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2007 13:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
Nah, you got that wrong mobius. It is about how big the fish is AND how much swimming room it needs.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2007 18:06Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
mobius
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 2
ok, my bad
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2007 01:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
amilner
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 654
male uk
Got to consider the fact that most sw fish are shoalers and either demand huge amounts of its own to keep aggression to a minimum.... or huge amounts of space in which to avoid each other.
Post InfoPosted 03-Jun-2008 20:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ACIDRAIN

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 1381
Votes: 416
male usa us-ohio
Got to consider the fact that most sw fish are shoalers and either demand huge amounts of its own to keep aggression to a minimum.... or huge amounts of space in which to avoid each other.

This is not true. In the wild there are many that do school together. But in the aquarium setting, there are very few species that will tolerate their own kind. And many that will only tolerate the opposite sex.

As well, those that do not tolerate their own kind, in many cases will not even tolerate other fish that have similar appearances.

There is always a bigger fish...
Post InfoPosted 04-Jun-2008 16:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 16-May-2009 13:19
DeletedPosted 19-May-2009 03:22
KingPrawn
Small Fry
Kudos: 1
male england
Thanks for the article/guide, as a newbie it has been very useful.
Post InfoPosted 18-Aug-2016 10:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies