AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Marine Aquaria
 L# Reef Keeping
  L# CORAL OF THE WEEK-------Zoanthus spp.
   L# Pages: 1, 2
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeCORAL OF THE WEEK-------Zoanthus spp.
Theaustralian
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 101
Votes: 0
male australia
Great profile Nate however i thought you'd mention how toxic they are Either way those look awsome are they all yours?

~Scott
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
Kudos: 2166
male usa us-colorado
yep, they are all mine.....however the ones that are pictured are not the ones that we were talking about the other night. Those are members of the palythoa....I have some of this family, but dont have any current pictures of them.

This has already been linked to here, but it was along time ago, and was buried in another thread that I had started. Anyway, here is the thread on the palythoa toxins if anyone is intereste. http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=eb09f9ea9ae5019377b8b48128557a74&threadid=158730
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Geri
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 0
female usa
Yes there is also a thread on RC bout a guy that was fragging his zoo's and had them in a rubbermaid bin and his dog got into them and died.. was really sad
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile ICQ PM Edit Delete Report 
spikekillifish
----------
Big Fish
Those are some nice Zoos FF. I was lucky enough to get a couple on a piece of LR a few weeks ago. I already have 2 new ones coming in. They are starting to turn a pinkish color. They were brown when I first got em.
d00dster
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 192
male usa
LOL firefighter, chucky is beating the bat in timing with the music i was listening to...too funny

nice zoos btw
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Dark Lotus
----------
Fish Guru
male australia
Good work FF, these are high on my list Also, great photos..... they are looking nice.

Cake > Pie
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
just bumpin back up to the top for Adam.
Fishes Rock
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 41
male usa
Nice Nate, I got few and they are awesome.
Gilligan
---------------
Mega Fish
I love you Alena
Kudos: 555
Votes: 50
male usa
Now are these exspensive because I really like that one and the one Honeybreze has.

"Party it up, Drink it down"
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Homepage AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
Depends on the colors that you want...what your LFS can get/does get in. Most lfs's dont ger in the jaw dropping colors, or if they do they are gone by the time that I get there. I find it easier to try to find sites that sell colorful zoa's and buy frags from theme, which can be kind of expensive...keep your eye out though......sometimes Ebay has some good ones that dont go for too much. Just do a search for "live coral"
Fishes Rock
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
male usa
I paid $29.99 for a nice size colony on the piece of rock.
Yesterday i saw something new with this coral. I was feeding Frozen "Marine Cuisine" which contains mysis shrimp and other small meaty stuff and there were few small meaty food flowing around the tank and this coral catched few particles and it closed and so trapped the whatever food it catched.
Is this because it got scared or it will use that food to feed it self? Have you guys seen this before with Zoanthus? One frag actually caught a leg or something of the mysis shrimp and it just wouldn't let it go...I waited there for half hour to see what happens next but that frag was completely closed and it was still holding the leg of that mysis shrimp. It was amazing...
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
Im betting you got some of the palythoa polyps.....is there any way that you can take a pic? Just a guess...are they green and brown?

You might have also got some "giant" buttons and they will take frozen brine and suck. I have some that are probably the size of a nickel.

Take a pic cause the palythoa polyps are pretty toxic. Read the link that was posted in one of the posts above.
Gilligan
---------------
Mega Fish
I love you Alena
Kudos: 555
Votes: 50
male usa
Thanks nate for the Info its appreciated!!!!!

"Party it up, Drink it down"
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Homepage AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Fishes Rock
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
male usa
Nate, Here is the pic. Sorry i don't have a digital camera and i scan this pic so appologize for poor quality.
I think most of them are smaller than penny and i did touch them couple of times but please take a look and let me know if they seems toxics.

[/font]

[span class="edited"][Edited by Fishes Rock 2003-09-02 09:59][/span]
bonny
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Engineer in waiting
Kudos: 498
Votes: 7
male uk
umm nate? burron polyps?
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
Returning to palytoxin ... I gather that the Palythoa polyps store these in their tisues as a defence against being eaten. Has there been any reports that these polyps deliver palytoxin to a target creature stung by the cnidoblasts? Because that would constitute a BIG risk if this was the case, particularly if the cnidoblasts were capable of delivering a sting that penetrated the outer epithelial layer of human skin. I've not been able to find any documentation that the corals deliver palytoxin via the cnidoblasts, and furthermore some scientists believe that the polyps do not manufacture the poison as a part of their intrinsic biochemistry, but sequester it from dinoflagellates in their food (the dinoflagellate Ostreopis siamensis I have seen quoted as a potential source). If the latter is true, then Zoanthids grown from fragments cultivated over long periods of time would, eventually, cease to be toxic. However, I'm looking for some confirmation of these details. Be nice to know that some of our favourite reef animals aren't going to kill us during maintenance!

Incidentally, anyone who wants to see a palytoxin molecule, take a look at this PDF document]http://users.ox.ac.uk/~magd1571/finalpage/3HandoutB.pdf#search=%22palytoxin%22[/link]. Palytoxin is one amazing molecule - it has 64 steroecentres, and 7 points of geometrical isomerism, which means that there are around 2.3 x 10^21 possible stereoisomers ... and, amazingly, it has been the subject of a total organis synthesis effort in the laboratory ... another illustration of the molecule, and more information on its effects, can be found [link=here.

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 18-Sep-2006 01:22Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
bill2759
-----
Small Fry
male usa
Any particular reason why I cannot see the pictures?

Bill
Post InfoPosted 22-May-2007 22:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
This is a very old thread, but I have a few zoanthid pics I can share.

Sorry I don't have any palys, just zoanthids.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 25-May-2007 04:12Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Melosu58
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 86
male usa
Very nice zoo`s MBB. Nice color.
Post InfoPosted 25-May-2007 13:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies