L# add on to filter
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribeadd on to filter
leonclay
Small Fry
Kudos: 1
Votes: 0
hi All,

I have a 450 lire tank and run a fluval 405 I would like to get more water movement and airation in the tank I have used powerheads but the keep stop working after 6to 12 months as in the bubles dont work, I was thinking of a internal filter to help out a bit like a eheim aquaball or fluval u3 or should i get a UV filter what would you guys do. bu the way I have 1 x jaguar 1 x jack dempsy and 1 x flowerhorn
Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2013 03:05Profile PM Edit Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
EditedEdited 09-Feb-2013 00:00
HI and welcome to Fish Profiles!

I'm not sure why the powerheads would stop working, unless your fish have started knocking them around.
Most powerheads have a stub sticking out of the top where you can attach a short length of air hose that goes up to the top of the tank and over the edge. The pump pulls air in to the pump where the air gets chopped into bubbles that
are then sprayed out into the tank. I have never seen one of these setups cease working.

If you are using airstones and an air pump, that time frame (6-12 months) is about normal for the "life" of an airstone. Bacteria forms on the stones surface eventually clogging the tiny spaces the air travels through and they quit working. Scrubbing under running water can prolong the stones life, or you can switch to different material stones. Keep in mind that the finer the bubbles, the smaller the air passages and the quicker they will clog up.

Frank

IN REREADING, a slim possibility could be, especially if you have "hard water" is that there could be a calcium buildup inside that stub preventing air from being pulled into the pump. Something like a pipe cleaner, or, even the end of a paperclip carefully inserted into the hole could clear the stub and once again allow air to be pulled into the pump where it will be "chopped up" into small bubbles and sprayed out into the tank.

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2013 07:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jasmine
Small Fry
Kudos: 2
Votes: 0
There are many good information and details so I hope you will read care fully and take more information by take a look here.
Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2013 04:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies