Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
Oh hell, what a day!
After a power cut of 9.5 hours, out of 30+ fish not counting fry, i only had one loss. This an hour after the power has come back or less, so tomorrow morning will be the real teller.
So, why did the power go?
Well, the house two doors down blew up basically. It looked like a suicide bomber had been stood outside his front door.
Sat in the front room, heard a huge bang, saw a flash of flames then lots of smoke, run outside to see that i cant see my neighbors house because its covered in smoke, running over i realise that its the front of the house that has gone up, a power cable under the ground.
After the smoke had been cleared and the fire put out by nature (was flooding at the time, pics to come of that!) i was speaking to the guys house it was and he said its an old power cable that he didnt even think was live, there was a large hole in the ground and lots of peices of shrapnel and metal. There was a fire crew just at the top of the road 2 days ago because a pipe had blown up in the ground whilst they were doing something with it. Coincidence? or could they have then bypassed that pipe and hooked it up to the old not-live one outside my neighbors house (14 inches away from his front door!) without telling him?
About 10pm when the united utilities guys were getting to the pipe, they let loose that it had been 'tapped off' or 'capped off' or something of the effect by the guy living in the house it blew up in front of.
Anyway, to make things more interesting, a guy pulled up in a van just at the side of the guys digging (in view of my house), leaned out of the window, went pale, passed out, messed his trousers and then started having fits. Great. By the time i'd got to his van hed woken up and i'd called an ambulance and was saying he was fine, and not diabetic or epiliptic which was my first thought.
So yeah. Filters and heaters dead for 9+ hours, the bettas didnt concern me but the river loving fish and cichlids did. Unfortunatly i lost a female apistogramma agassizi, but i thank myself lucky. A tank full of 90+ fry survived!
May look into a generater after that! Anyway, heres some pics of the flood today. This is all from rain, a river didnt burst, but drains filled up fast.
Outside my window, in the cellar, this is at least 4 inches of rain.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/Trappedmetal/flood002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/Trappedmetal/flood003.jpg
A couple of the main road: this all happened with 6 minutes or so of rain.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/Trappedmetal/flood004.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/Trappedmetal/flood006.jpg

Cheers,
James
Post InfoPosted 08-Jul-2009 03:48Profile PM Edit Report 
Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
Kudos: 3730
Votes: 348
female usa us-california

I was going to say, "Pictures or it didn't happen", but you have already offered ample proof of your claims. Damn...

How have the herps fared?

I'm not your neighbor, you Bakersfield trash.
Post InfoPosted 08-Jul-2009 22:17Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
Well right now i only have a northern pine and a florida king. Both are fine - it wasnt very cold outside so that made things a bit better, and not lost anything else since the female agassizi..
Post InfoPosted 09-Jul-2009 21:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies