Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeAdding another type of fish with shell dweller's
rhys88
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 18
Votes: 0
male australia
I have a 20g shell dweller tank with four fish in it (well actually 3 with one in a seperate tank for the moment) and i was wondering what other type of fish i would be able to put with them, like a peaceful fish which won't kill them or be killed by them, the shell dwellers have lots of shell to hide and and there are caves and stuff i have made for them, however the tank looks a little bare, any help and suggestion would be awesome
Post InfoPosted 13-Feb-2006 09:09Profile PM Edit Report 
littlemousling
---------------
---------------
Conchiform
female usa
What species of shelldweller are you keeping? Generally I'd consider a small group of shellies plenty for a 20; they'll use all the space, and their behaviors (and fry, hopefully) are more than entertaining enough to "fill the space."

-Molly
Visit shelldwellers.com!
Post InfoPosted 15-Feb-2006 14:54Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Jason_R_S

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 2421
Votes: 391
male usa us-indiana
if you wanted to go with a somewhat larger tank then you should be able to add some Cyprichromis with them. These are a schooling cichlid that usually stay in the middle to upper level of the tank.
Post InfoPosted 16-Feb-2006 02:54Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
illustrae
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 876
female usa
If you have caves and shells, maybe some neolamp. cylindricus would work. They are a small cave-dwelling species. The only problem you're going to run into no matter what tankmates you get for your shellies is that when there are fry, the tankmates may try to make snacks of them, and then you get fighting parents and potential dead fish or eaten fry. That's why shellies are best by themselves.

Hoping that there must be a word for everything I mean...
Post InfoPosted 16-Feb-2006 18:02Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
littlemousling
---------------
---------------
Conchiform
female usa
I definitely wouldn't recommend Cyps for a 20 gallon tank; the smallest varieties reach 3.5 inches and they're all very active swimmers and VERY dedicated schoolers that really need large groups (12+) to thrive.

-Molly
Visit shelldwellers.com!
Post InfoPosted 20-Feb-2006 15:39Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies