SubscribeLost color in Tiger Barb
Cmreds
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 13
Votes: 0
male usa
Hello everyone,

I noticed last night that one of my 5 Tiger Barbs has lost all of the color in it's tail, but the other 4 still have color. I know lights can bleach out the color of fish, but my light is only on 8 - 9 hours a day and it's not an extermely high wattage bulb. They also get blood worms twice a week and color enhancer flakes once or twice a week so it shouldn't be due to their diet.

Thanks,
Chris
Post InfoPosted 01-May-2008 19:48Profile PM Edit Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
Hi Chris... you may want to check your water parameters to be sure you're not getting any ammonia and/or nitrites...

Sometimes stress can cause fish to lose some coloration.

heck, the color may just come back on it's own, I have seen my Tiger Barbs go from bright, vivid colors to less vivid colorations at times. So, check the water parameters and keep a close eye on him to see if he changes at all...

good luck!
Post InfoPosted 02-May-2008 02:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Barb Boy
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 17
Votes: 1
male canada
I think that the loss of that colour could be caused by stress. If this tank of yours is new then it would be extremely common in fish. If it isn't a new tank then check your water quality. That is probably the culprit. I don't know how to cure stress but there are a lot of ways to prevent it. If you have any aquarium books you ought to be able to find something.
Post InfoPosted 02-May-2008 02:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cmreds
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 13
Votes: 0
male usa
I believe I have found the source of the stress in my barb and its not the water quality - it was nearly perfect for this tank. The stress is coming from a RTBS that I introduced to the tank over a month ago.

Up until now the RTBS has been very docile, but now he chases the Tigers around like crazy. Although he leaves the Rosy Barbs and YoYo's alone.
Post InfoPosted 03-May-2008 04:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
You have not mentioned the size of your tank reason being the RTBS can and will become very aggressive in a smaller tank even in a big tank with several caves they can take over especially at feeding time. Looks like you have to make a choice its either the Barbs or the RTBS.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 03-May-2008 04:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies