SubscribeOh No!(All Input Requird~!~!)
platy boy
-----
Banned
Kudos: 74
Votes: 30
male canada
the lfs said that i could get a rainbow shark in my tank

its a 33 gallon its 3 feet by 1 foot and 1.6 feet high there is a nice hidding spot for it and the plecos i have 4 wag tail platys 4 sunburst platys 2 L 83 gibbys(pleco)but geting rid of one soon so 1 L83 7 neon tetras 3 bleeding hearts 1 bronze cory and 1 albino cory(increasing those getting rid of the bleeding hearts)and my african all aquadic dwarf frog(about the size of a neon swims 5 times slower) i have 1 rainbow shark in there all ready ive heard people say its going to eat my neons but hes i nice shark he only chases them harmlessly so far when he gets his full 5 to 6 inches will that change?

33 gallon 7 neon tetras-5 platys-3 bleeding heart tetras-2 corys-1 rainbow shark-2 L83 gibby plecos
Post InfoPosted 18-Apr-2007 00:48Profile PM Edit Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
EditedEdited by GobyFan2007
If the RTBS or rainbow has hiding spots, then you could get away with agression until it out grows it. The neons should be fine while its young, and the RTBS dosent get too large until later in its life (1-2 years it will stop growing, and will grow slowly once a year). Other wise, i dont think it can actually eat a whole neon.

I would go with the rainbow, because it has all red fins, except for the anal. It depends however, on what you like. Just be sure that what ever you choose, make sure it has its own hiding spot, as the plecs might kick it out, and thats when it starts to get mean!

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 18-Apr-2007 01:12Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
waldena
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 80
Votes: 71
male uk
Sorry, I'm not sure I'm reading this post correctly. You say that your LFS says that you could get a rainbow shark, but that you've already got an RTBS in there.

If my understanding is right, then definitely no to the new shark, you ahould only have 1 in a tank. They're too territorial to keep more than one in a single tank and certainly in something as small as a 33 gallon.

If I am reading this wrong, I'm still not convinced that a 33g tank is big enough to keep a fully grown RTBS in, but someone with more experience with these fish will be able to give you better advice.
Post InfoPosted 18-Apr-2007 01:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
platy boy
-----
Banned
male canada
no i worded it wrong the lfs said i could get one so i got one i have 1 now

33 gallon 7 neon tetras-5 platys-3 bleeding heart tetras-2 corys-1 rainbow shark-2 L83 gibby plecos
Post InfoPosted 18-Apr-2007 01:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Fishrockmysox
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 58
Votes: 12
female usa
I don't think that the RTBS will be able to eat your Neons It might get aggressive as it matures as do [most] RTBS's do. I wish you the best of luck tho!

10G- 6 Zebra Danios, 1 Upside Down Catfish
20G- 1 Goldfish
72G(maybe95)- Need Stock suggestions
Post InfoPosted 18-Apr-2007 03:17Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa

I had a RTBS when I first joined this site. Then I posted about it. The title of my post is, "Rainbow shark attacks at night!" I 'm putting the link below if you care to read about my experience with it.

http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/threads/31432.1.htm?9#

Attached Image:
Post InfoPosted 18-Apr-2007 04:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
platy boy
-----
Banned
male canada
alright thanks everyone loved the help ill watch at night for anything more than chaseing

Post InfoPosted 18-Apr-2007 14:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
monkeyboy
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 375
Votes: 223
male usa
i've got 3 of these guys in my 150g tank and never had a problem with them attacking anybody. because by theory of this thread, by stating they may eat the noens, that they may eat my zebra danios to and that has never happened.

the most i have is they chase each other around and well display their fins at each other. and these 3 are at about 4 inches right now and i've looked closely at their mouths. and honestly, i dont see how they could take down healthy fish that easily. now one thats ill, maybe after attacking it repeatly

i've even seen these guys hunting for snails with my clown loaches in the past. that was actually very funny

but of course, all fishes attitudes are different and this may just be my luck

Fish tanks are an expensive addiction
Post InfoPosted 18-Apr-2007 17:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
platy boy
-----
Banned
male canada
i love the fact that everyone wants to help from what ive heard cali is the one to talk to about this how about that cali can you help?

Post InfoPosted 18-Apr-2007 23:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
lysaer
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 57
Votes: 2
male usa
One thing you definitely do NOT want to do is put a RTBS and a rainbow in the same tank.

You'll end up with one dead shark and one badly wounded shark at best. Experience talking there!

Listen! Do you smell that?
Post InfoPosted 19-Apr-2007 03:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
platy boy
-----
Banned
male canada
thank you for all the help if he gets mean hes gone!

Post InfoPosted 23-Apr-2007 14:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
Ah, Sharks. Of the Epalzeorhynchus Cyprinid kind. Which basically includes all of the fishes that were once classified as labeo species before being moved into Epalzeorhynchus, and the fishes that NOW reside in Labeo after having been moved from other Genera (includng Labeo chrysophekadion, the Black Shark, which used to be known as Morulius chrysophekadion).

What do they all have in common? The following

[1] Primarily herbivorous diet;
[2] Distinct liking for caves and other similar aquascaping features;
[3] Increased manifestation of territorial behaviour with age.

Usually, one is NOT recommended to keep more than one individual of ANY species in an aquarium. The reason being that the territorial behaviour, once it manifests itself, does so vigorously, and large individuals can begin displaying the less than delightful combative characteristics associated with some of the "bad boys" of the Cichlid world. Particularly so if [1] they have insufficient "real estate" to select a prime territory from, and [2] the aquarium volume is too small. Given that they are ALL chunky, muscular fishes as adults, and are capable of holding their own alongside some fairly aggressive aquarium companions, it is probably a GOOD idea to restrict one's keeping of these fishes to lone individuals with carefully chosen companions of species radically different from Epalzeorhynchus etc.

However, if one has a LARGE aquarium, it may be possible to have more than one individual of a given species together, but I stress that the aquarium will need to be LARGE and also carefully furnished to allow the individuals thus housed to have 'safe havens' from each other. One of the reasons why captive breeding of these fishes has proven to be so difficult is the fact that they are sufficiently aggressive toward each other to require impractically large quarters to house a viable breeding population of mixed males and females, and determining the gender of one of these fishes usually requires dissection as there are almost NO external differences between male and female.

Bear in mind that the territorial behaviour of these fishes will not be restricted to conspecifics either - they will also manifest aggression toward fishes that bear even a passing resemblance to a conspecific (SAEs are particularly vulnerable here) and also to unrelated bottom feeders that compete for "real estate". I would therefore advocate considerable caution in tankmate choices with these fishes, as they are robust, muscular, willing to mix it with some surprisingly tough opponents, and as they grow older and larger, not in the least bit inhibited about dispatching a territorial rival in swift and brutal fashion if they decide that [1] the personal risk to themselves is low, and [2] the restricted space in which they are living makes such action a compelling need to satisfy their own territorial requirements.

Those aquarists blessed with large disposable incomes, ample free space in the home for the aquarium required, and the dedication required to implement the project with due care and attention MAY try experimental housing of more than one of these fishes together, but I emphasise that the aquarium should be LARGE, and the project will probably involve considerable capital cost even before the first drop of water enters the aquarium if the end result is to stand some chance of success. Personally I'd avoid such an experiment in anything less than 150 gallons, and would consider 250 to be a safer bet for such a trial, but of course, one has to factor in the individual variability of the specimens - one COULD get lucky and acquire some reasonably docile specimens, but equally one could be UNlucky and acquire some total berserkers and headbangers!

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 26-Apr-2007 21:43Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies