AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Species
 L# Cyprinid Corner
  L# Vertical & listless tiger barbs?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeVertical & listless tiger barbs?
lysaer
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 57
Votes: 2
male usa
EditedEdited by lysaer
Is it normal for tb's to float vertical? nose down? I've got a couple that have taken to doing that at times. I don't know if they're sleeping or not, but they'll just float there, straight up and down, for long periods of time, then start swimming around normally.

ETA: Two of the tb's had also taken to just hiding inside the cave, for hours on end, not swimming, fighting, or eating with the rest of the school. Yesterday, sometime between lunch and late evening, the larger of those two disappeared and when I went to feed everyone after a water change I noticed this - and I also noticed all the fish had very full bellies. So it does appear that there was something wrong with at least one of them. I guess that he died and the other fish made short work of him, but I can't find any remains at all.

Listen! Do you smell that?
Post InfoPosted 28-Apr-2007 01:09Profile PM Edit Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
I have TBs too, and they either will do this as a precursor to breed, or to fight. They also will do this to rest........I think. Either way, its completely normal.

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 28-Apr-2007 06:47Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
tinfoil
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 252
Votes: 1
male netherlands
tiger barbs "standing" vertically is no prelude to anything in particular. It's their resting pose. They may even look a little palish from time to time when they are doing that.
Post InfoPosted 29-Apr-2007 07:15Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
Oh! Sorry, my bad. I just heard this somewhere, that the nose down pose was an invite to fight or breed. When my tiger barbs are fighting, they go into attack, then draw back in that pose, kinda like swordfighting or fencing.

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 30-Apr-2007 23:00Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies