SubscribeFilter on a 1 gallon?
truestar

-----
Enthusiast
Young Pup
Kudos: 92
Votes: 147
male usa us-indiana
I picked up a used 1 gallon aquarium for $1.00 at a garage sale for my male Betta. I had him in the 20 but he has been flaring and chasing my Blue Rams so I don't even want to try him with the Guppies I was gonna try, so he is getting his own tank. This is the exact same tank I have.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752291&cp=2767036.2769119&sr=1

It has an ugf and I don't know if I should even bother using it on a tank this size. It comes with a small air pump and stone to run it. Could I cycle a tank this size? Also, the light is an incandescent bulb and I was wondering if I could possibly grow Java Fern or Java Moss with this light? I could move it so it gets sunlight if that would help. Would I need to heat a tank this size? The room temperature in my house is usually about 78-80 degrees, would this be okay? Any help would be appreciated.
Post InfoPosted 04-Oct-2007 02:38Profile PM Edit Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited by Callatya
You probably couldn't cycle it in the way you could cycle a larger tank, but you might be able to use the UGF and the addition of a weekly bacteria booster to keep it stable for a longer period. That being said, tanks that size are a bit of an art form, and can go south very quickly. It is not easy. If you think about the size of the betta to the size of the tank and scale it up, that would be a big ask of any filter to provide ongoing stability.

It is a bit of a toss-up with tanks that size as to how you handle it. Your choices are to stop the cycle for as long as possible, or to help it cycle quickly. That tank will try its little backside off to start cycling from day one, so IMO it is probably easier to push it in the direction that it wants to go, at least partially anyway.

You can keep the test kits handy and try pushing it to cycle by running the UGF and adding a bacteria starter and probably an ammonia locker, and just see how quickly it'll kick on. Once it settles, chance part of the water, add more bacteria starter, and go again. Basically, you cycle, you water change, and when it comes time to cleaning the gravel you brace for a mini-cycle (which is likely given that you probably must disturb the primary substrate for bacterial growth) and if it comes, try to push it through without measurably spiking. It can be done, but it is really tricky. It'd be preferable to try this without a fish until you know where your limits are, because this would not be nice to live in while you are feeling around for your break points. I have used this in a 2 gal (long story, it was an interesting experience) but I'd be very very hesitant to use it in a tank your size as it has the potential to just swing around all over the place.

If you want to go the other way, think of it like trying to slow the cycle right down. Use an ammonia locker and monitor it until you get a spike, then change the water. Start again to confirm, and then once you know when you spike, plan to change the water the day before. You can alter this time with things like zeolite and ammolock and bacteria starters, but with this you are looking for the longest continuous period of safe water with 100% changes, not long term stability. This method is less risky, less chance of things going bad overnight. This should work. This should actually work with or without the UGF.

In my experience, in small tanks you can't go past a UGF for stability. The proviso being that given the ratio of fish/waste to tank volume, it is relatively short-term stability. Even in a tank where you'd change 100% of the water weekly, I'd still want to use the UGF to make that full week comfortable.

I wouldn't try to use the incandescent light, firstly because it probably wouldn't work well for plants, but mainly because it will make the water very toasty, and then when you turn it off the temperature will drop quite substantially (you'd probably have it on during the day and off at night, so the temperature would swing more because the room temp would be lower at night)
You could switch it to a screw-in fluro, but I think you'd have the same problem.

If you can get a heater small enough, I would heat it, if only to stop the temperature from fluctuating so much. Also, if you can, I'd insulate 2-3 sides of the tank, and maybe the base, with polystyrene. If you can stop some of the areas for heat loss, you can reduce the temperature fluctuations. Ohh, actually, does your other tank have a lid or hood that can support it? it should stay reasonably stable if it can get some heat from that.

I wouldn't put it near the window, it'll only increase the temperature issues. and possibly grow you some algae If you want to try plants, perhaps go with java fern or anubias nana, install a screw-in fluro and open the lid when you have it on to let some of the heat escape (whip up a quick grid from plastic canvas to stop jumpers)

It is complicated, small tanks aren't easy, but I'm sure you'll manage

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 04-Oct-2007 05:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Carissa
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 37
Votes: 0
EditedEdited by Carissa
If you go with some window light, you can grow java ferns no problem. But you don't want anything too direct, it will drive up the temp too much.

If you can get enough plants in there, you won't need a filter. The plants remove ammonia directly.
Post InfoPosted 08-Oct-2007 22:30Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
coltsfan
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 75
Votes: 6
male usa
Truestar,
Other than an ugf I have never seen a HOB filter for a tank that small. I know whisper makes one for 2-5 gallons but not for 1 gallon. I agree with callatya keeping this tank stable will be the biggest challenge, but I know you are up to it. Good luck and keep us informed.

Justin

Colts Fan For Life
30g platy tank: 2 sunburst wag platys, 2 redtailed white calico platys, 2 red wag platys, 1 fry(not sure who it belongs to), 1 Golden CAE.
Bettas:1 VT male
Post InfoPosted 17-Oct-2007 16:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
truestar

-----
Enthusiast
Young Pup
Kudos: 92
Votes: 147
male usa us-indiana
Forgot I posted this question. He's been in the tank for about 2 weeks now, and I didn't use any filtration. I do weekly water changes and only feed him what he can eat, so there are only very few leftovers. He has built some bubble nests since the move and looks pretty happy overall. I just got a cheap 15 gallon with everything but a stand and will set it up in about 4 months, I might make him the centerpiece and stock with fish he'll get along with. I'll let you know what I do when I start planning that tank, I'm still busy with the 20 and 55 at the moment. I love MTS.
Post InfoPosted 17-Oct-2007 17:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies