AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Marine Aquaria
 L# Marine Setup
  L# before I do it, why won't it work?
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribebefore I do it, why won't it work?
Gilraen Took
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 30
Votes: 0
female usa
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-07/totm/index.php

Hmmmmmm. I've been wanting to upgrade my saltwater tank from a 10 gallon coral only tank to a slightly bigger one with 1-2 fish for a while now, and came across that while I was looking for aquascaping ideas.

IF I did it, I'd only have a couple of small fish, 2-3 hermits and a lot of snails for a clean up crew, a 10 gallon sump with chaeto instead of 5 and clams, and powerheads instead of trying to fiddle with putting flow in the "perfect" spot. Well, and not the same corals that he has.

There's GOT to be a catch though, right? He says that one was up for over a year at that time, with no problems. But it doesn't say if he ever had to take it down(or WHY he had to if so, if it was something like different priorities and not wanting to care for it anymore or if it was only a ticking time bomb that finally went off) How easy would it be to replicate a working system like that one? Would I be forever chasing parameters or would I have a pretty easy time keeping everything happy?

[url=http://dragcave.ath.cx/viewdragon/bNFR][/url]
Post InfoPosted 31-May-2008 22:40Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Report 
ACIDRAIN

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 1381
Votes: 416
male usa us-ohio
I don't understand what you boggle is? I found nothing in that article to suggest any of the things you are asking about. Why would he want to take it down? What catch are you looking for? I don't understand why you don't think his setup could or would not work.

As for replicating it, I see no worries in doing so. Personally, I had my 75 gal reef setup with a handful of small fish in it. And only did water top offs with nutrient addatives weekly. And did about 50% water changes about once a year. Yes I said ONCE a year. As this was all it required. None of my parameters were ever in danger levels nor even near them. I had a deep sand bed, macro algae, and clams, all of which are exceptional at the removal of nitrates.

Personally, I would rather have the perfect from from something other than powerheads. Such as the collection of multiple returns. As this makes for fewer things in the actual tank, and makes for fewer things that can fail.

There is always a bigger fish...
Post InfoPosted 01-Jun-2008 02:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gilraen Took
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
Oops, didn't realise how pessimistic that sounded Just saying that they don't ever really do updates. If he moved he may have had to tear it down and never restarted, or it may have had some unforeseen problem pop up to make him need to tweak it. And even though I want to upgrade my tank(if I did a 20 I'd be doubling the size and being able to keep a couple of fish in it) I didn't want to spend the money(hey, it's a lot for someone on a budget to get the rocks and the lights for that small of a tank, let alone a Big one. . .) and have it crash a few months or so down the road because I had a problem that would only show up after time.

Do they have "cleaner" clams sort of like what the LFS claim that the freshwater golden clams do, or are they all fancy ones? I wouldn't mind having a couple of inexpensive ones if they do clean the water.

I may look at the article more to see if I can figure out where he placed his powerheads to get his flow right.

Post InfoPosted 01-Jun-2008 07:50Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
ACIDRAIN

---------------
---------------
male usa us-ohio
Not sure about inexpensive clams. Usually their price is based on their color and appearance, as well as size. Clams are expensive, but the way to go if you can afford enough of them. Becuase unlike the macro algae, you don't have to continuously remove it by handfuls. They just keep growing and looking nicer. How ever, the down fall is that you need a lot of clams to do the job properly. Many people that use the clams, put one, two, or three in the tank, and then have a bunch more in a sump. You need about one large or decent sized clam per 5-10 gals. All depending on the bioload. You will have to just test one out on your bioload if this is the way you are think/wanting to go.

In my 75 gal, with a handful of fish, I had two med-large clams in the main tank, and 5 more in the sump. I started with 4 of them, and just kept adding one more every 3-4 weeks, till the nitrate levels came under control. But again, I also used a deep sand bed in the tank and the sump. As for macro algae, I had some of that in my main tank, but it was more for color and appearance in the tank than the control of nitrates. So it was kept under control and a small amount.

Clams are not cheap, and I would not suggest them if you cannot afford them. The cheapest way to go is a sump full of macro-algae.

As for your tank, with no fish in it, you should not have a nitrate problem. If you are, I would guess you are feeding the tank too much. Not knowing your corals, I do not know your feeding regime and such. Nor your water change regime and such.

Post InfoPosted 01-Jun-2008 16:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gilraen Took
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=1075+1642&pcatid=1642

Something like those that are supposed to filter the water is what I was thinking of. Couldn't remember where I'd seen them before But I've read the freshwater ones don't work well, maybe that's why I was thinking the saltwater ones wouldn't either. Hm. So basically I'd only really need 2 of the clams in the tank to take care of my bioload then? And don't they get big eventually? I've seen pictures of empty shells people were selling as the sorts you buy in stores that were gigantic. And would they need anything really special for care? I've always read that they're difficult to keep alive =/

I don't have any problems right now in my tank, other than some caulerpa that somehow started to grow that I haven't been able to completely rid myself of yet, I just want fish

Post InfoPosted 01-Jun-2008 20:43Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
ACIDRAIN

---------------
---------------
male usa us-ohio
The size and growth rate depends on the clam and your feeding care and lighting over it. Some are slower growers than others.

Their difficulty lies more with lighting than anything. SW clams require very high lighting.

Post InfoPosted 01-Jun-2008 21:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gilraen Took
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
That guy has 150 watts over his 20 gallon, and it looked like his were all on the bottom, so I'm assuming if I also did a 150 watt halide light that I could keep the clams without any sort of issues from them being too dimly lit?

Post InfoPosted 03-Jun-2008 03:34Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
ACIDRAIN

---------------
---------------
male usa us-ohio
Over a 20 gal, a 100 watt MH would be sufficient as well. Remember, for the corals the more light you have, the increased addadives and such will be needed for the corals' uptake. The more light means the more use of it. Which in turn means more stuff needed for growth. Thus they will grow faster, but also require more foods and addatives.

Post InfoPosted 03-Jun-2008 15:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gilraen Took
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
EditedEdited by Gilraen Took
They make 100 watts? Huh, all I've seen are 70 and 150. Anyway, for the sake of argument, depending on the response I get in the planted forum about moving my planted tank to the 20 and not the reef, if I were to turn my 29 gallon into a reef, how much extra light would I need? Would that be a big enough tank that I'd need more than one bulb(like if I went with a 40 breeder I've been told that I'd need either 4-8 T5s or 2 HM) or would one higher power MH like the 150 over a 20 still be good for it?

As for stocking, I was thinking about going with 1 saddled blenny and 2-3 chalk bass. That sound okay?

Post InfoPosted 08-Jun-2008 19:42Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
ACIDRAIN

---------------
---------------
male usa us-ohio
Its all about the watts. Personally, I like the ripple effect you will see in the tank with using one bulb. So, I would go with the largest bulb you can vs multiple bulbs. A single bulb is easier to setup, easier to maintain, and gives the tank a much nicer look. The only problem with a single larger bulb, is the heat output will be greater. So be sure to have several fans on it.

As for the 100watt, I meant to say 150watts. My typo.

Here you can see, they go up to 400 watts though;
http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=301

Post InfoPosted 08-Jun-2008 22:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies