L# canister filters for saltwater tanks
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribecanister filters for saltwater tanks
chopper3678
Fingerling
Kudos: 18
Votes: 1
male
i have a canister filter that i have used on my 30 gallon freshwater tank and i am wondering if i can us it on my new 44 gallon saltwater tank? also i am wondering if i use the canister filter with a 350 penguin power filter along with a protine skimmer, will that make the water to clean or what? thank you for your time.
Post InfoPosted 16-Jan-2010 22:07Profile PM Edit Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Yes, you can use all those on the tank; mechanical filtration isn't freshwater or saltwater specific.

Note, however, that mechanical filtration like canister and hanging on back filters still allow for nitrate production, and although nitrates aren't much of a concern in freshwater tanks, they are more of a concern in saltwater.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 17-Jan-2010 04:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
IMO I would use the canister filter not for mechanical filtration, but chemical filtration. I use carbon, phosban, purigen, and polyfilter in my canister. Your mechanical filter should be more easily accessible and cleaned out on a weekly basis so you don't get nitrate buildup as shini suggests.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 17-Jan-2010 14:36Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies