Subscribe"Asian" Rummynose
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
Ok, all you Tetra experts and afficianados out there!! Has anyone ever seen ro heard of Asian Rummynose Tetras? Or, would there be another name they might go by?

A local pet store has what they claim to be f-1 first generation Asian Rummynoses. Their body shpe is like that of a Rummynose, they have a lighter red blush on their nose and dark tips on their tail fins, no checkerboard pattern. Their overall body color is more gold tinted than the silver color of regular Rummynoses.

The "fish guy" claims these are fry hatched from eggs from breeding wild caught "Asian Rummynose Tetras."

So of course, meing the Rummynose addict and MTS sufferer I am, I am curious!

Post InfoPosted 10-Jan-2009 16:24Profile PM Edit Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited by Callatya
I think we had a batch of those come into the country early last year and they were quite the dull fish. They were slightly yellow with a very minor red nose. Hardly any colour at all, almost like amber-tinted glassfish. I haven't seen them since.

Google says: Sawbwa resplendens is an asian rummynose, but that looks like a rasbora and it also looks very very blue.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 10-Jan-2009 18:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
male usa
Yes Callatya... your description fits... I havent taken much time to do research yet. I think the appeal for me is to have some "f-1" fish... assuming that to be true. But then that also scares me, introducing God know's what, into my tanks lol
Post InfoPosted 10-Jan-2009 18:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
F1 isn't really a big deal when it comes to diseases IMO. Some of the standard tropical fish breeding places leave a lot to be desired too Just treat them normally, but be a bit more careful with the water parameters and they should be fine. I would love to see what they look like in a good tank environment, I bet they colour up beautifully!

(they are likely to be P1, not F1. If they are just wild caught then the first spawn should be a P (parental) number unless the parents were known siblings, with the F (filial) numbers coming in when they breed sibling to sibling. The count generally goes P1, F1, F2, F3 etc and resets if you stop breeding sibling to sibling - this is my understanding of it anyway, I thought it might be handy in case it comes up, because you are actually a generation behind what some people might expect from the numbering and that can get important if you end up breeding )

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 10-Jan-2009 19:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
male usa
well, thanks for the info Callatya... interesting, I may just pull the trigger on 10 or so of them and see what happens!

Post InfoPosted 10-Jan-2009 19:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
male usa
After some further research, these little critters are cyprinids and so technically speaking I guess I should've begun this thread in that forum lol!
Post InfoPosted 11-Jan-2009 19:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
dont worry about f1s i have mainly wilds in my tank no prob with anything.
Post InfoPosted 11-Jan-2009 21:41Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Cup_of_Lifenoodles
---------------
Fish Guru
Kudos: 1957
Votes: 30
male usa
Only the males develop color and only when they are in prime condition, hence, you're unlikely to see them at full display in a stock tank.
Post InfoPosted 11-Jan-2009 21:54Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies