SubscribeAdvice on "redoing" fish tank.
mnventurer
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 31
Votes: 34
male usa
EditedEdited by mnventurer
Can anyone offer any experiences or tips on rearranging my fishtank? 20g freshwater... I'm getting bored with the way I have it now.

Saint Paul, Minnesota USA 20g Freshwater Started June 10th 2008
-> Tank Info In Profile <-
Post InfoPosted 12-Dec-2008 22:46Profile PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Oh yes, give yourself plenty of time to do it in otherwise you rush and fish can come to harm.

What do you have now? Do you have any ideas on what you'd like?

If you're thinking of changing over substrate as well as everything else, I'd step up your cleaning of the gravel, make sure it's got no spots where you missed doing a vac. IME doing a substrate change can be the most time consuming as it really does need to be done all at once.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 13-Dec-2008 01:18Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
mnventurer
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
I'm not going to be changing the gravel... just moving some stuff around. I have lots of live plants. I want to take out the 2 plastic rock formations and put in some mopani wood (which I know needs a lot of soaking first). I'll try and get a picture up of what I have now. It just looks too crowded, but I guess the fishies like all the nooks and crannies. I never get to see my Otocinclus they're always hiding in the Amazon Swords.

Post InfoPosted 13-Dec-2008 03:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa
I think the best way to decide how you want your tank arranged is to look at a bunch of pictures of tanks. You can look at the photo booth on this site or find the winners of aquascaping contests on the web. You're bound to find some things you like & can try to sort of imitate it in your own tank. Good luck!
Post InfoPosted 14-Dec-2008 02:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 631
male usa us-california
get your mopani and soak it for at least a week! you can set up some kind of filter with lots of carbon to remove the tannins until a tannin less layer is formed and you get it to properly sink... or you can daily or twice daily change the water in the container its soaking in... Rearranging a tank can be time consuming and hard on he fish. so leave the tank lights off and go at it making sure to to hit, bump, wedge, squish or etc of any of the fish. as for rearranging rooted plants you will want to be really gentle and slowly follow all the roots and try to keep as much of them intact and replant all of the roots not in a ball but slowly stretching outward. as for smaller root system plants (ie stem plants) you can simply up root and move but also be gentle. its not very difficult and I usually move my small pieces of drift wood around on a regular basis to expose new areas to fish grazing and to create a somewhat fresh look. If you look in the terrarium section of the stores you can find some mopani or other wood chunks (no pine, cedar, etc) and simply boil then soak and put in... They are great and you can usually get them fairly cheap! just remember when going for mopani the darker the wood the denser and easier to sink it will be!

Ottocinclus and other algae eaters tend to hid and thats something in their nature, you shouldn't try to make the tank just for your viewing purposes you should make it so the fish are comfortable and as close to a natural habitat as possible. I have a ghost shrimp in my bay front hex tank that I haven't seen since a week after I set it up... then i saw it yesterday, Its kinda rewarding to know that you are doing such a good job of providing hiding places and providing for an aquatic species well enough that it feels at home in its environment. take it slow, plan it out and be gentle...
-Brandon

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 14-Dec-2008 21:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Post InfoPosted 15-Dec-2008 02:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Sorry I have tried and I cannot post the "Photos" they are not in JPEG.
I also have sent a PM if any one would like the complete infomation please PM me and I will E/m it to you

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 15-Dec-2008 03:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mnventurer
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Ottocinclus and other algae eaters tend to hid and thats something in their nature, you shouldn't try to make the tank just for your viewing purposes you should make it so the fish are comfortable and as close to a natural habitat as possible.

Heck yeah the Otocinclus hide! I almost never see them and just when I think they've disintegrated they come out of hiding. One is almost twice as big as when I 1st got 'em. I think they hide much more now because of the territorial Rams.

First priority for me is my fish being comfortable, it just seems a bit crowded and unplanned in my tank.

Post InfoPosted 16-Dec-2008 18:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 631
male usa us-california
GOOD

its always good to hear that the fish are first priority!

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 17-Dec-2008 03:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies