SubscribeAnyone have issues with rainbow slate
clippers1996
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 10
Votes: 14
male usa
Hi all,
I've been out of Aquaria for about a year now, and just started up my long dormant 29gal. On looking back, I should have checked this slate for issues. I know it has a high Iron content. Beyond checking regular water parameters and looking for signs of staining, am I running any big risks here? The stones were purchased at a reputable LFS BTW. Oh and I cleaned them gingerly with a scotchbrite pad till the sink I was washing them in was clear.
Thanks!
Post InfoPosted 01-Oct-2007 00:59Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
As far as I know slate is slate the colour variations can depend on the location it came from. It is far cheaper coming from floor tiling and garden suppliers. Just give it a good soak and wash it down to remove any loose pieces.

It could easily change colour in the tank as it ages.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 01-Oct-2007 03:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
clippers1996
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 10
Votes: 14
male usa
Truth be told Keithgh, Slate is very flaky stuff and this reminds me more of a sandstone. Not at all like the slate I used to skin my knees on as a kid in NJ. Now that I think about it, it's definately more of a sandstone than slate. Hmmm and I wish I could find anything worth putting in my tank in Miami, maybe busted roofing tiles is about it. No streams down here for Rock picking!
Post InfoPosted 01-Oct-2007 03:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Sounds to me that what you have is Shale and not Slate. You'll have to check with Frank about that though, he's our resident geologist.

If you can post a pic on photobucket or the like then link to it in your post that'd be helpful.

Don't go busting up your neighbors roof, check with your local landscaping supply company they often have some busted up pieces they might sell you at a discount.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 01-Oct-2007 05:48Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
My N. brichardi tank has around 10 lb of slate that was leftover and broken up from when my parents tiled the floor. I bet if you find a flooring contractor that does slate floors, they'd give you their broken tiles for free!

Here's my mom's (a geologist by education) input on the slate vs. shale thing (and there aren't really any other similar rocks that would be flaky)

Shale: dull in appearance (hard to tell if it's underwater/wet), and you should be able to flake bits off by lightly scratching with your fingernail (your scotchbrite pad probably would have taken some off).

Slate: often has a sheen, you can pry it apart by hand if you find a fracture line, but you would actually have to be trying.

><>
Post InfoPosted 01-Oct-2007 06:44Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
EditedEdited by FRANK
Hi,
Slate is metamorphosed Shale. That is, it has been
buried, compressed, baked, and changed, from shale
into slate.
In that process pretty much anything that will affect
your water is taken care of. The exceptions are some
iron pyrite that could form and I'd not put that in the
tank.

Shale can contain kerogens that will pollute the tank.
Scratch it with a knife and then smell that spot. If
if smells like fuel oil or gasoline, then do not put it
in your tank as the kerogens will leach out into the water
and pollute it.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 01-Oct-2007 23:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies