L# Aquarium lighting?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeAquarium lighting?
Nyteflame
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 17
female usa
Hi All. I have a 20 gallon tank with a pair of cichlids in it (separated by a divider, because they are both mean as bulldogs!).
Anyway, the lighting they have is the bulb that came with the tank. It is only a 15 watt bulb, and I was thinking about replacing it (the tank always looks dark). I don't have any live plants in there, because the chichlids are herbivores, and would just make salad out of them.

My question is: How many watts should I be looking at, and can I put a stronger light into the hood that came with the tank? OR does it work the same way as incandecent bulbs (like where some fixtures can only take up to a 60 watt bulb, and anything over that is a fire/shock hazzard)

I hope that was understandable...

Post InfoPosted 19-Feb-2007 17:04Profile PM Edit Report 
OldTimer
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
USAF Retired
Kudos: 1294
Votes: 809
male usa
If this is a standard single tube flourescent type fixture then you are pretty much limited to the standard 15 watt tube. However, as a flourescent bulb ages it begins to lose it's output level so it's a good thing to change them out periodically. You also may want to experiment with the different types of tubes as the different varieties will illuminate your tank differently.

Jim

Water, taken in moderation, cannot hurt anybody. -- Mark Twain
Post InfoPosted 19-Feb-2007 18:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Nyteflame
-----
Fingerling
female usa
well, I have had the tank for close to 3 years now. I didn't know that the bulbs dimmed with age. I will have to stop by the LFS and see what they have in the way of bulbs. Their website has 8 pages of florescent bulbs, which doesn't help me in determining which one is right for my tank... Too many choices. I will have to ask someone who works there.
Post InfoPosted 19-Feb-2007 20:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
With no plants, your main goal is to "See" the fish!
Probably a bulb that is in the "daylight" range would be
a good idea. That would mean a bulb that is about 6700K
in temperature. Look for bulbs that either say 6700K on
them, or bulbs that say DAYLIGHT. Daylight and Sunlight
can be interchanged but I'd stick with the daylight as
Sunlight can be a bit harsh (more bright sun like) and
could cause a problem with shy fish and no where to hide,
or with algae growth.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 19-Feb-2007 21:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Rather than stopping by the LFS, swing by home depot or lowes, or your friendly local hardware store. Since you're not worried about the plants you can use a standard bulb.

I used a dual 6700Kelvin daylight bulb from Homedepot on my home tank and it made it look great. Like has been mentioned they do dim with age so if it has been three years I think a replacement is in order .
Also make sure that the reflecting part of the reflector is clean from dust and give the cover a wipe down too, use plain water.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 20-Feb-2007 00:05Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Nyteflame
-----
Fingerling
female usa
Also make sure that the reflecting part of the reflector is clean from dust and give the cover a wipe down too, use plain water.

Reflector? There is no reflecting surface in my hood....it is just white. Should there be something there that is metallic?
Post InfoPosted 20-Feb-2007 04:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Doesnt have to be metallic, white will reflect as well.
The part that's behind the light, just make sure that's clean be it metallic or white.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 20-Feb-2007 05:13Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies