carpe_diem
----------
Fish Addict
*Dreamer*
Kudos: 292
Votes: 51
female australia
ok looking at pics of everyones tank and getting jealous

ok thinking of slowly redecorating both my tanks slowly..
first off my 55g needs a background. is there are safe way to paint it? its running at the moment..
also want to fix the background of my 20g it currently has contact on it but this has a few bubbles so was thinking of taking it off and putting some new stuff on there...

any advice would be great.

Truth doesn't always win friends but it influences them
Post InfoPosted 28-Jul-2006 02:18Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
To paint use a good quality water based flat black and use a small paint roller.

Some paint stores and Bunings sell a small kit tray and roller.
Make sure it is in a warm airy area let it dry at least 12 hrs before the next coat.

DONT JUMP REPLIERS here are the reasons for this.
Warm area it dries quicker and airy for safety.
Now recoating it will be certainly "touch dry" that means the top surface only. If you recoat before it is fully dry it will not sit on top of the previous coat/s if you apply several coats before they are fully dry you will actually lift off all the paint, as the paint has actually penetrated all the previous coats and can lift off all coats.
In the summer you can get away with two coats a day if it is done out side but not in the sun. For more info read all the instructions on the paint tin first. There are min & max temps for painting. If the tank is set up open all windows have a heater going and a fan/s as well.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 28-Jul-2006 03:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
crusha
----------
Enthusiast
Fish Geek
Kudos: 183
Votes: 102
female australia
Hi, I just posted a thread myself about attaching backgrounds.

Just got a 6ft which I attached a solid black background to. (LFS bought one). I tried the vegetable oil method but that didn't look so good, lots of tiny air bubbles so I just taped it to each edge and its looking great now.

My 4ft also has a black background but that was my beginners tank and my husband (Bless him decided that siliconing it would be the way to go ... DONT DO IT!!! It shows through as white blotches, thank goodness it was only down the edges and right at the top, but you can see large pockets where the background is not flush with the back of the tank ... doesn't look too bad but I notice it.

As far as painting the back. I know you can do it but i'm not sure if you should with it up and running. The fumes may be harmful.

Have fun - Crusha

Those who say they cant, Never will !!!
Post InfoPosted 28-Jul-2006 03:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
OldTimer
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
USAF Retired
Kudos: 1294
Votes: 809
male usa
When painting the back of the tank it is also helpful if you clean the back with pure white vinegar as this will help to remove any residues and minor hard water build ups.

I don't know if you have it available there, but most craft/hobby stores sell a liquid that you can apply to the glass before painting that I believe chemically "etches" the glass and allows the paint to better bond to the glass. My wife uses it when painting bottles and other glass objects for her art projects, but I can't remember the name of the stuff off-hand. However, I'm sure the store can help you out with that.

Jim

Water, taken in moderation, cannot hurt anybody. -- Mark Twain
Post InfoPosted 28-Jul-2006 16:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
carpe_diem
----------
Fish Addict
*Dreamer*
female australia
thanks for all your replies!

im not a big fan of the stick on backgrounds that some LFS sell. the ones i have found all have those plant/coral pics.

so flat black applied with a roller it is!
the fumes wont harm the fish in any way? ill try n keep it airy as possible with fan and heater.

where the tank is position is gng to make this a difficult task but i think it should work with some stretching to get the middle bits. i will try n find some of that liquid oldtimer mentioned.

is white vinegar safe to use as well?

Post InfoPosted 29-Jul-2006 02:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
I think the etching can be bought in Aus it is a craft shop product.

Saying that I have never used it reason not actually necessary. One good reason is if you have to remove the paint it will scrape off very easy if not fixed on by an etcher fixer.

I have only ever used pure Metho and kitchen paper for cleaning the glass before painting.

Add more airation while you are painting and keep it running until at least a few days after you have finished.

If you go to a good paint store you can buy small sample pots or have a black made up for you rather than buy a large amount.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 29-Jul-2006 05:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
OldTimer
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
USAF Retired
male usa
White vinegar is what I use prior to painting the backs of my tanks, and as far as the etching liquid I have never use it before myself it's just that I know my wife uses it on her painting projects and it does seem to help the paint bond better to the glass.

I do agree with Keith though that if you plan on ever removing the paint from the tank it comes off relatively easy with just a scraping with a razor blade when nothing is used prior to painting.

Not sure about the fume situation. It didn't sink in when I read your post that the tank is still set up and operating.

Jim

Post InfoPosted 29-Jul-2006 07:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
carpe_diem
----------
Fish Addict
*Dreamer*
female australia
ok please forgive me if i sound stupid writing this but understand i have never painted anything in my life!

i went down and visited the hardware store last nite and had a quick look at the paint section. i cant believe how many different kinds of paint are available!
looking very confused at the many tins i couldnt seem to locate any staff members who might be able to assist so im asking the very experienced members of this board instead!

first... do i need a specific paint that states 'glass' on the back of the tin?

is 'enamel' paint what im looking for to do the job?

any other things i should be looking for on the time before committing to this?

thanks for your help!!!

Post InfoPosted 04-Aug-2006 03:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
OldTimer
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
USAF Retired
male usa
I just use a good quality "Flat Black Latex" paint. Get a small roller and tray, most places have this as a kit. The roller is probably about 3" (whatever that is in centimeters) and you should be set.

It does not have to read for glass on the can (tin), as I doubt you will actually find anything that states so. It will take 3 or 4 coats to completely cover the back so no light gets through, so be patient and you will be fine.

Jim

Post InfoPosted 04-Aug-2006 04:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
wish-ga

----------
Mega Fish
Dial 1800-Positive-Posts
Kudos: 640
female australia
EditedEdited by wish-ga
Sorry if this has been addressed (I did not read all posts just the first 4-5) but:
------> What are the benefits of painting the back of the tank instead of applying a bought black laminated plastic sheet?

I would be concerned that the paint would flake and need to be stripped and reapplied (even if it was marine safe).

I think the black bground is fine (tape not oil application) and it can be replaced if it gets ratty (mine hasn't even after a few years).

Can someone please explain. Not trying to be mean I really don't understand. Backgrounds you buy are as cheap as chips and surely the paint & accessories costs more... so saving money can't be the motivation.

Can someone shed some light?

Good luck with redoing your tanks Carpe_Diem !!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~ My fish blow kisses at me all day long ~~~
Post InfoPosted 04-Aug-2006 06:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
carpe_diem
----------
Fish Addict
*Dreamer*
female australia
Thanks Wish-Ga! i might need it

i have yet to find decent plain black backgrounds at LFS
and i dont want it peeling off in sections as ive seen many store bought ones do.

Post InfoPosted 04-Aug-2006 07:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Painted back grounds are a constant full coverage, with depth providing it is applied correctly. The LFS back grounds have to be put on with oil or similar product and if not correctly it will bubble and look very unprofessional.

Yes painting is the dearer option but in my opinion it gives a better job and the lasting time can be many years with out replacement.

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 04-Aug-2006 09:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 10-Aug-2006 05:08
This post has been deleted
goldfishgeek
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 412
Votes: 38
female uk
So could you use matt paint, the same stuff you would paint the walls with. I having an idea, never having found a back ground I am happy with on either tanks.

hmmm. or would I use what my Dad would call Black board paint?

except I want it to be blue.

or maybe green.

off to day dream - or rather night dream since it is 1 in the morning!

GFG

Post InfoPosted 14-Aug-2006 01:53Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies