L# Bricks...
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeBricks...
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
hi i was wandering on a hill by my house and found brilliant red stones.. i collected them and took them home... found out they were old brick peices from an early mexican ranchero that used to be on that hill ( i know this because we found old horse hitching posts and such when i was younger)... anyhow will htese be safe in my oscar tank as a peice of the aquascape? and also are newer bricks or cinder/concrete blocks ok to use with my oscar?

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 03-Feb-2008 23:53Profile PM Edit Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
I believe bricks are usually clay, not that I know anything about them... If they are clean of pollutants and chemicals the only real concern I can think of would probably be if they somehow contain carbonates which would buffer your water. This is easy to test for with some vinegar or other acid, which reacts with carbonate to form carbon dioxide, resulting in bubbling or fizzing (think science fair volcano reaction).

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 04-Feb-2008 03:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
From what I know of the construction of that time period it was clay, and mud, and some other less pleasant things used in the construction.

Since they've lasted this long its likely that they wont outright dissolve in your tank, but I'd follow shinis advice, make a scratch into the brick and pour some vinegar on it.

As for cinder blocks, I'd be very cautious using those. Most have very sharp edges. Even the sides are usually sharp, I wouldn't want to subject my fish to the risk of bumping into that!

^_^

Post InfoPosted 04-Feb-2008 03:31Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
thanks guys... i decided to try them in and i came home after two hours and my oscar was distressed so i too k hem out added some conditioner and he is back to his normal self... although the brick peices sure looked spectacular... shame to have themwasted i will find something good for them...

thanks for the advice and it looks like they had something no so friendly in them... probably carbonates...

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 04-Feb-2008 04:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Not having much personal experience with oscars, but it's possible that he was simply stressed from the new surroundings.

Make sure you check that they won't alter the ph by testing with vinegar, then if you really want to try again I'd say add only one or two every few days. Let him get used to the changes you make around the place.

They might work for non aquatic tanks if you have any critters.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 04-Feb-2008 06:11Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies