Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeFrom start to finish of the 5ft tank alterations plenty of photos
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
Oh ok. Now that you mentioned that the DW was just a tool, I can focus on the plants. It looks so ocol! Its like an underwater jungle!!! Again, i hope it fills up soon, i think it will look even better.

I noticed you have mostly anubias, and could not help but wonder why. I am guessing that its because of the fish and the disturbing and whatnot...Otherwise, if it wasnt a lowlight tank, which i dont know if it is, i would say that there could have been a lot of different plants too! But then theres the problem of the uprooting so....2+2=4...

Overall, its really neat, and the fish look so happy! Great job again!

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 13-Nov-2007 06:28Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Over the years I tried several species of plants with very little success one reason was the CLs just dug them up before they were established or I never got the water conditions and the plant ferts correct. Then I started on the Anubias and naturally planted them. Remember no FP then or much info, (even today I have been advised by a LFS that all Anubias should be planted). Naturally they died off at the base so I decided to tie them to small rocks and it worked. A LFS owner grew the small anubias and it was easy to get a good supply at a good price. I started do a good feeding and things improved. Then the 4ft cracked.
Big changes 5ft, Eheim Pro11, but still maintained the UGF. Within months the tank went crazy as you can see the end results and over the years pieces were broken off and that is how the Anubias jungle started. The big rock was a problem when it came to a deep vac for most of the tank now I can do my weekly vac in different area weekly about 25%.
I personally think the Anubias love plenty of water movement and good lighting also a good fert.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 13-Nov-2007 08:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
Well, i guess that was a learning experience, wasnt it? Anubias is nice plant, and as i though, the loaches wouldnt let you have other plants. That explains it. Well, i would say you did an extraordinary job on making a planted tank with mostly anubias, look like a high light and lush tank! Its really neat! Anyway, why did the tank crack in the first place? I was wondering why tanks seem to crack just when things are good!!! My mom's friend had a huge like 200gallon tank, which ended up cracking. Is it just old age?

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 14-Nov-2007 23:19Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
The tank was at least 15yld just old age. The leaking did a lot of damage well over $1000 insurance claim. The insurance also covered the tank "Glass"

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 15-Nov-2007 02:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
Kudos: 83
Votes: 242
male australia
Keith , I'm interested in your comment on Clowns and plants . In your experience will clowns destroy mature plants as well ?

Garry
Post InfoPosted 15-Nov-2007 02:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
I have never actually seen my CLs do it but I can tell by the leaves that they are doing it. It is possibly the larger ones only. If you saw what they can do to a lettuce leaf you would know why I think that way. The big fella just opens his mouth and just rips it apart.
There was a photo posted some time ago of a CL actually chewing a Anubias.

The new soft tips are also a target. They also get the Algae chips ever day.

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 15-Nov-2007 03:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Here is an old photo of one of the Clowns eating the lettuce not the open mouth.

Look here for my

Keith

Attached Image:

Clown Loach eating lettuce

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 15-Nov-2007 03:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies