Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeHelp...Stress Out
sugarcookie
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 3
Votes: 1
Hi...
I'm so stress, can someone help me out. I want to decorate my tank with fake silk plants, I don't know what to get !!!! Can you give me some suggestions of what kind and how many plants I would need, I'm up to any suggestions. I have a 55 gallon tank with the main center peice is a old sunken ship, it's about
23" long. Also, where to buy on line, we don't have a LFS (only a Wal-Mart, not even a super one at that). I really want silk or plastic plants. ANY SUGGESTIONS ......

Thanks Again,
Sugarcookie (in Kentucky)
Post InfoPosted 15-Jan-2008 07:34Profile PM Edit Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
For mail order fake plants, try Drsfostersmith.com or
Big Al's.
As far as appropriate quantity for a 55, that depends upon
you, how much excess money you have for the project and the
fish in the tank. I'd start with about 2 dozen and go from
there.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 15-Jan-2008 08:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa
Hi sugarcookie.......welcome to FP!

One thing to keep in mind when you're decorating your tank is how hard or easy it will be to clean the gravel. It is recommended on here that when you do a water change every week or two, that you vacuum 1/4 of the gravel at the same time. Each time vacuum a different section so that in a months time you have vacuumed the whole bottom of the tank.

Keeping the above info. in mind, you will be messing up your plants when you vacuum around & under them. This can be frustrating when you have to replant or straighten them out when you're done. This situation was brought up awhile back on another post. Someone wanted to know how to vacuum the bottom of their tank without messing up their fake plants. The answer was more or less....that you can't. So be prepared that the more plants you have, the more work it will be to keep them in place after vacuuming.

Also, it is more than likely that the plants will need to be taken out periodically to be cleaned from the gunk & algae that will form on them. I don't mean to discourage you from getting plants, but then I don't want you to get frustrated from biting off more than you can chew either. I would start out with just a handfull of plants & then after a couple months if I decided I could handle more, then I would get more. I've been through the fake plant experience.... that's why I just advised what I did.

Keep in mind that smaller plants around or near your ship will help keep it in proportion. In other words, smaller plants will help your ship look larger & more real. If you surround your ship with larger plants it will make your ship look more like a toy ship. It's usually recommended to put larger plants toward the back and/or the sides of the tank & smaller plants as you come forward. You might check out peoples tanks in the Photo Booth on this site for some ideas in decorating.

Whatever you decide, I wish you luck!
Post InfoPosted 15-Jan-2008 17:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fishsage
-----
Hobbyist
Tank You Daddy.
Kudos: 53
Votes: 16
male canada
Hi there, if you take a look in the photo booth section, you will see pics of my 55 gallon tank with fake plants from Big Als.... They have an exceptional line of plants inin store that are anchored to pieces of slate. I have 5 of them in my 55, and with the exception of an open swimming area, the tank is fairly well planted. It seems that the Big Als ones are staying clean longer than the cheap ones. The slate anchored to the bottom of each one really keeps them in place during weekly vacs.
Hope it helps!
Dan

55G -5x Bosemani, 3x Emerald Cory,3x Red Rainbow, 3x Turquoise Rainbow. 20G-Empty. 10G -4x Danio 3x Cory Fry 1 Gold Mystery Snail. 10G- 1x CAE, 2x Tetra 1x ADF
Post InfoPosted 15-Jan-2008 19:27Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
FishKeeperJim
----------
Big Fish
Member MTS Anonymous
Kudos: 208
Votes: 186
male usa
Well Drs F&S , and big alls have been mentioned So I will toss out That Fish Place

Good place and good prices.

mts.gif" border="0"> I vote do you?
My Tanks at Photobucket
Post InfoPosted 16-Jan-2008 04:13Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
wish-ga

----------
Mega Fish
Dial 1800-Positive-Posts
Kudos: 640
female australia
Clever call on the scale fishpatty.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~ My fish blow kisses at me all day long ~~~
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2008 04:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
Kudos: 63
Votes: 10
female usa
You can also try Petsmart. I once got a ton of nice silk-type plants from them. The only problem I had, was that algae kept growing on them and it was very difficult to get it off. I wound up throwing them all out.

This time around, I went with straight plastic plants. I feel they'll be a lot easier to clean.
Post InfoPosted 08-Sep-2009 05:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies