AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# General
 L# Aquascaping
  L# How To Make Normal Wood Suitable For Aquarium?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeHow To Make Normal Wood Suitable For Aquarium?
Ethan14
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 339
Votes: 18
male usa
I am planning a tank to be set up in about 6 months and part of the aquascaping requires a few large branches. I was wondering what process can I do in order to make normal, non-driftwood branches that I could find outside suitable for my aquarium.
Post InfoPosted 27-Jun-2006 09:19Profile PM Edit Report 
mughal113
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 160
Votes: 64
male pakistan
Hi,
First of all make sure they dont come from a live tree/plant. I collected some dried out dead wood pieces and below is the procedure i adopted.
Boiled the wood for like half an hour. Got most of the dirt and color out.
Socked the wood in water for around two months, changing water daily until it stopped coloring the water.
Then before putting it into the tank, i gave it another hot bath. Even after all this, the water showed some yellow but after days time it was good.

Hope it helps.....
Post InfoPosted 27-Jun-2006 12:29Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
OldTimer
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
USAF Retired
Kudos: 1294
Votes: 809
male usa
Just make sure that where you collect the wood from is free from the useage of pesticides, herbicides, etc., as they can be abosorbed into the wood and can be very difficult to remove completely.

Jim

Water, taken in moderation, cannot hurt anybody. -- Mark Twain
Post InfoPosted 27-Jun-2006 23:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Unless you can gurantee the wood does not have all the above problems it is not worth it as it can cause far more problems than it is worth just to save a few $$$.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 28-Jun-2006 06:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 28-Jun-2006 06:52
This post has been deleted
mughal113
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 160
Votes: 64
male pakistan
100% correct keithgh, but I think boiling the wood for a longer time and then changing water daily during the soaking period gets rid of most of the pollutants...doesn't it?
i case of pestisides/chemical fertilizers, yes, they can really be hard to remove as those get into the cellular structure of the plants especially if they get into the water the plants are using...as wood itself is nothing but dead tissues, the chemicals can reside there indefinitely. Now if these tissues decompose in your tank, the chemicals might get dissolved...
This is not the problem with fish only..the fruit and vegetables we eat have the same level of danger for out healths.....Well, these are the blessings of this new age and we have to live with these
Post InfoPosted 28-Jun-2006 08:21Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Ethan14
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 339
Votes: 18
male usa
Thanks a lot guys.
Post InfoPosted 29-Jun-2006 04:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies