Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeHow??
ku5626
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 61
Votes: 7
male usa
As I have seen pictures on hear before of plants on logs I have instantly fallen in love with the idea. How do you get the Plants with roots to stay on? Thanks!

Ku
Post InfoPosted 31-Oct-2006 04:32Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Report 
jmara
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 431
Votes: 145
male usa
Most people take tread or string and tie the plant to the log until the roots take hold

-Josh
Post InfoPosted 31-Oct-2006 06:07Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Over the years I think I have tried most things to tie plants on but the best by far is 15lb fishingb line. Some plants are very slow growers and methods other than fishing line will rot of before the plant can attack its self. Some plants will not attach themselves to rocks and the fishing line is the only one that does not require replacing.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 31-Oct-2006 07:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
illustrae
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 876
female usa
Forgive me if you already know this, but I just want to be clear that only certain plants can be attached to wood or rock. Plants like anubias, java ferns, bolbitis ferns, and mosses are really the only ones that will thrive this way, You can't tie an Amazon sword to a piece of driftwood and expect it to survive, for instance.

Just making sure... it wasn't clear from your post if you were aware of what plants worked.
That said, I also use fishing line to attach my plants to stuff. Some peole say that it's hard to knot, or that the knots come undone, but I havn't had the problem, I just use a square knot when I've secured something, and it holds forever.

Hoping that there must be a word for everything I mean...
Post InfoPosted 31-Oct-2006 16:08Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I am not saying it cannot be done. Weather tied to DW or in a substrate it is only a method of holding the plant upright. When I buy plants I always float them for at least 14 days and they will continue to grow. It is that some plants do not like their roots buried.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 01-Nov-2006 06:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
illustrae
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 876
female usa
I have had some stem plants continue to grow for a while unrooted, but in the end, they usually die off after a few weeks of this. And rooted plants like crypts and swords don't last long without their roots in the subsrate, since that is primarily how they get their nutrients. Anubias and Java Ferns and similar plants can certainly grow rooted in the substrate, but I personally have not had them thrive that way, as they do when tied to wood or rock and completely out of the substrate.
Your milage certainly may vary. I just wanted to point out that there are particular plants that do well tied to wood, and other plants the generally do not.

Hoping that there must be a word for everything I mean...
Post InfoPosted 01-Nov-2006 21:09Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies