Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeJava Moss?
sodaaddict84
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 108
Votes: 52
male usa
i posted a couple of days ago about converting to a planted tank, but i was wondering how to get the low lying grass look? and im not sure what it is that im looking for to use. is java moss what i would use?

*click *flash *click "whered he go???"
Post InfoPosted 10-Nov-2006 08:14Profile PM Edit Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
Check out this site for some comprehensive information
on the various types of "mosses" that are found in our
aquariums. It will also describe how to grow them along
with ideas on aquascaping.

http://www.aquamoss.net/

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 10-Nov-2006 16:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sodaaddict84
----------
Enthusiast
male usa
thanks again frank. i didnt really have chance to read right now but i went ahead and bookmarked it for later.

Post InfoPosted 10-Nov-2006 21:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
juwel-180
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 212
Votes: 17
male uk
loads of it gets sold on ebay that is where i bought mine from and it was great and is doing well. I also got my christmas moss off there as well
Post InfoPosted 10-Nov-2006 22:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sodaaddict84
----------
Enthusiast
male usa
ya i saw that on ebay but im a bit of a skeptic when it comes to live, over the net... if it was dry goods its a ok in my book.

Post InfoPosted 11-Nov-2006 08:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
I've had plenty of plants sent up to me from other fprofilians. The cheapest way to ship plants is to wrap them with wet newspaper or papertowel then seal it in a ziploc bag ...or two to keep anything from leaking out.
If your buy from a plant site you should have no problems at all...so long as they're somewhat reputable.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 11-Nov-2006 10:12Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
ricanboy57
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 4
Votes: 5
male usa
I don't know if your still monitoring this thread but there are other types of plants, beside mosses, that will give you a good "grass" look for the front of your tank. I prefer Micro sword (Lilaeopsis brasiliensis) but there are a lot more out there; Dwarf hairgrass, Narrow leaf chain sword, and Glosso to name a few.

Post InfoPosted 20-Nov-2006 20:41Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
des_sniper
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 42
Votes: 11
male usa
FYI: moss looks good in most tanks. However, moss (especialy java moss) will grow and grow. If a small piece breaks off, it will start a new plant; and boy will this stuff break apart. When it does, it will grow anywhere it can, on rocks, wood, substrate, uplift tubes, filters...you name it. Once you have a tank with moss, it is almost impossible to eraticate it.
But that is just the negative, I have java moss in 2 of my tanks. One is a brackish water molly tank and it spread out great in there, doesnt mind the salinity at all (1 tablespoon per 5 gallons). The other is in barb tank. The tank is low-light with java moss, purple waffle, and darf lillies. Java moss seems to do great in low lighting conditions.
Java moss is a plant that will keep on giving. You cant really kill it, so if you have a brown thumb you will still do GREAT with this plant.
GOOD LUCK

"There is also a Clown Pleco in this tank some where. I am telling you, HE IS IN HERE."
Post InfoPosted 22-Nov-2006 06:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sodaaddict84
----------
Enthusiast
male usa
ok everyone has helped and offered advice. but are all these plants low light plants. and whats the difficulty on these

Post InfoPosted 23-Nov-2006 02:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies