AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# General
 L# Aquascaping
  L# Keeping sand and gravel separate?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeKeeping sand and gravel separate?
Rookie_Boy1
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 27
Votes: 0
EditedEdited by Rookie_Boy1
I'm downsizing, and I want to keep a 15g tank with a few fish. I have a 15 gallon currently housing a single aggressive bn, and I will be making the 29g safer for the khuli loaches, that are in there, before moving the bn in with them.

I have sand and two ornaments in the 15g, I was thinking that 1) I could remove the sand, get rid of the ornaments, clean the sand.

2) then I'd remove some gravel from the 29g, clean it, and lanscape the 15g. I was thinking of having gravel of either side of the tanks, and having a 'stream' of sand in the middle of the tank. I will be using large pebbles to try and separate the sand/gravel as well as set the boundaries of the sand/gravel.

Is there any way I could do something to effectively separate the sand and the adjoining gravel?

Thanks in advance.

R_Boy1
Post InfoPosted 01-Feb-2009 13:33Profile PM Edit Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
I've been doing sand and gravel for the past year, and I've learned one thing. They are really hard to keep separate... You might want to try keeping an actual boundary between the sand and the gravel, not one made of pebbles, as the gravel and sand can get mixed between the cracks between pebbles. I had something like this but I used large stones, which wasn't very effective. Gravel would leak into the sand pit, and the sand would get kicked up out of the sand pit and fall over the gravel areas. Fact is, sand can be picked up by the water current if it's kicked up enough, so it's going to go into your gravel regions seemingly no matter what. Of course, the sand going on the gravel really doesn't change the look since the sand just falls into the cracks between the gravel. However, gravel pieces in sand is really obvious. So you can try to control for gravel entering your sand region, in which case you only need some sort of boundary where the holes are smaller than the pieces of gravel. Otherwise you're going to have gravel "leaking" into the sand areas, as I mentioned. Right now I'm retrying my gravel/sand concept by having a strip of plastic canvas containing the gravel, sort of like a solid-ish net. The strip is then hidden by rocks. It's worked so far, but I haven't needed to move any any of the plastic canvas and stuff which is good, otherwise I'm pretty sure I'd lose some gravel into the sand.

There is no way to keep sand and gravel completely separate just because of sand getting kicked up. But if you can keep the gravel from moving then you're doing pretty good.

BTW, I can't really imagine a bristlenose being aggressive. My male will defend his cave and chase the female around, but that's all.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 01-Feb-2009 20:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
The answer to that is easy. "With great Difficulty"
You could try strips of a plastic/type material cut into strips one continuous length for each side even then it would have to be completely hidden with DW or rocks. The water/fish movement and your cleaning will move the sand and substrate around no mater what you do.

If you want to still try the stream effect you could try a different coloured natural substrate but you choice would have to be very careful other wise it will distract you from the overall effect. This could be easily separated by rocks and DW.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2009 01:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies