SubscribeLooking for airplane ornaments
ca416295
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 4
Votes: 2
male canada
Hey everyone.

I'm not too sure where to post this, so I thought I would try this forum. I am in the process of starting an aquarium. My parents always had a large aquarium when I was growing up, and I have always wanted to start one of my own. I am both a pilot, and SCUBA diver. I have dove in the Caribbean on a few aircraft wrecks, and always found them very pretty. I have been searching for some sort of airplane wreck to go in a 10-20 gallon tank. After a lot of searching, I have only found one, and I’m not overly thrilled with it. I’m hoping someone could recommend an online store that would have them. I've been to all my local fish stores, but all they have are shipwrecks.

Thanks for any help!
Troy
Post InfoPosted 23-Oct-2007 01:24Profile PM Edit Report 
clownloachfan
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 850
Votes: 115
male usa us-pennsylvania
EditedEdited by clownloachfan
How is this for you? They are a good company to buy from.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+6635+3759+13909&pcatid=13909
Post InfoPosted 23-Oct-2007 04:56Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
EditedEdited by Babelfish
I remember an old discussion about using toy models in the aquarium. I can't remember how it ended up, but the issues that come up with ornaments are if they're safe, if they trap air, and if they might alter the tank readings.

If you get from an aquarium dealer you'll usually be fine. Some tend to trap air which can be bad, drilling a few holes will help keep any trapped air from becoming anerobic and depending on the size of the hole and the fish allow hiding spots.

Try looking through a toy store you might find some that are the ones you paint yourself. In that case you may be okay to build one so long as you use only aquarium safe silicone to seal it, and any painting that's done will need to be covered in another layer of silicone to trap any chemicals. Prepainted ones may work as well, so long as they've got a layer of silicone over them as well.

A really cool plane wreck would be cool. I remember diving to see one in a quarry. Everyone told me there was a skeleton so I was a bit freaked out as we decended in about 1' viz. Turns out it was just a toy one that isnt the least scary, but it's a good thing my dive buddy knew me, he wasn't going to let me bolt .

^_^

Post InfoPosted 23-Oct-2007 05:27Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Twilight
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 76
Votes: 92
female canada
My boys and my bf would love to have a submarine. My bf suggested a model, but I objected to putting something that might off-gas into a fish tank. I never thought of sealing it!

ca416295, if you do order something, I'd love to hear how it works out for you. So far I've nixed the ceramic titanic replica at the local chain store, but my bf is still trying to sell me on a model sub....

I vote! Do you?
Post InfoPosted 23-Oct-2007 08:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ca416295
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 4
Votes: 2
male canada
clownloachfan

I think That is the one I'm going to go with. I was hoping for something that looked a little older. That looks like it crashed that afternoon. The paint is still pretty vibrant. Anyway, I contacted them, and the cost to ship it to Canada is over $70! They can only send it first class, priority air. Anyway, I live like 30 minutes from the border, so I’m going to see if I can have it sent there, and drive to pick it up. My other option is there is a hobby store near my apartment. I may just drop in to see if they have anything similar to what I'm looking for. I do doubt it thought.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Troy
Post InfoPosted 24-Oct-2007 01:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
" That looks like it crashed that afternoon. The paint is still pretty vibrant."

True! But keep in mind that after a month or so in the tank you'll likely get a bit of algae growing on it. You could even try tying some plants like java fern or moss onto it to help cover over the 'just crashed' feel.

Don't discount the hoby store just yet.

Oh, and since you're in canada, try Big Als. I had a look through their ornaments and didnt see a plane but if you call them and explain what you're looking for I'm sure they'd be able to get one to you. Last I knew Big als had a canadian site (since they started there!) but I cant seem to switch anymore .

^_^

Post InfoPosted 24-Oct-2007 02:54Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
skyeye
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 18
Votes: 1
male usa
ive been thinking about sealing a picture frame in there. like covering everything but the glass so it is water proof. i think it would be pretty cool with fish swimming round it.
Post InfoPosted 02-Nov-2007 23:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies