SubscribeMixing slow-release substrates
Ironhand74
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 69
Votes: 295
male usa
EditedEdited by Ironhand74
With the up-coming plan to do a good cleaning of the UGF system, I have this insatiable urge to change up the substrate to something a bit more plant friendly, such as the Caribsea Eco-Complete or Seachem black flourite.
I figure I'll need about 85-90# of either, however, the LFS with the best price for these goods will only stock just enough of both combined to supply what I need to get the change over done in 1 day, not waiting a week or longer for more to come in.
Everywhere I have looked/read/heard both subs. are good quality and can be mixed with regular (inert) substrases, was curious if anyone here has mixed Ecco with Flourite with any consequence good or bad. I'v got a little time before all this happens, got 3 smaller tanks cycling now to keep the critters in while I do the cleaning and change out and get the 46 back up and cycling...just want to make sure that " 1+1=2 " I haven't found anything anywhere that indicates that mixing the two would have a undesirable effect as they seem to have very similar characteristics if not identical , just processed and packaged by different companies.

Thanks
J.
Post InfoPosted 31-Dec-2007 23:32Profile PM Edit Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
well you cant do a 100% gravel change off the back!
you need to change the gravel slowly about 15-25% at a time with incriments of a week in between...

if you dont you will loose most of the friendly bacteria that calls the gravel home and you will be preparing for your tank to cycle and you fish to get a good beating!

i would say if you like your current gravels color and are happy with it to scoop it up, dump in the flourite and then cover it with the some fo your old gravel... or dump in some flourite and mix it with the gravel...

but it is all completely up to you!

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 01-Jan-2008 00:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
You can do a complete gravel change all at once, just keep a mesh bag (or several mesh bags, considering you have a fairly large tank) full of your old gravel in the tank for a while after the change so you don't lose your cycle.

I don't think there is any problem with mixing the two substrates, the main differences will probably be aesthetic.

><>
Post InfoPosted 01-Jan-2008 00:39Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Am I correct in thinking you are going to do a complete rebuild, by that I mean remove all the substrate, then give the UGF a good cleaning as well, as well as remove all the gunk from beneath the UGF?
Are you running any other filter as well? If not you are going to go through a big cycle.
Before I even answer your question I would like to know more about the tank and how you plan to go about it.

It can be done but it involves a bit of planing and work.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 01-Jan-2008 01:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Ironhand74
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
EditedEdited by Ironhand74
Yes, basically a total cleanout, removal of UGF plates for cleaning as they have been in operation for about 2 years now +or- a few months, and yes I also have a HOB for primary filtration the UGF is reverse flow btw.
I've got the cycling planned out, thats not an issue really, my concern is will the Flourite and Ecco mix without any ill effects either on water stability or plant growth or create any other undesirable effect.
All the fish will be temporarily residing in several other smaller tanks ( which are cycling as we speak/type lol )
and reintroduced after the newly cleaned and revamped 46 has fully cycled (fishless of course)with seeding from old substrate.

J.
Post InfoPosted 01-Jan-2008 07:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
Im thinking itll be alright, but personally, i would ratehr wait another 2 weeks for the extra eco to come in, rather than have to clean and wash allll the flourite, more than 3 times each. Otherwise, you will have a tank full of dust for a long while, and it wont get a chance to settle on the substrate for a good vac, because of the reverse flow. The HOB will take much longer to clear it up, unless a diatom filter is involved.

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 01-Jan-2008 09:50Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Waiting a bit longer should not make any difference at all why don't you just wait and put it all in at once. I do not know of either of those products, that is why I can not answer that part of your question. Can you get hold of another filter? If you could get it up and running this will give you more good bacteria when you start to get the tank going again also help to clean the water of all the fine particles.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 01-Jan-2008 10:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Ironhand74
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Hey there, thats kinda what I was thinking like I had mentioned it seems that the Ecco and Flourite are fairly much similar material, just processed by different companies.
As far as extra filters,got plenty to spare !! good in that department. I just didn't want to wait the extra time as they will not order more until the last has been sold, just really obskewer with the stock reordering, but @ $25US per 20# bag, its almost worth putting up with the hokey-pokey policy.
well, I'll have a few weeks while the 46 cycles to observe any thing unusual, once the nitrate is starting to register, then I'll plop a few plants in, and go from there !!

Thank you all who replied
when the change-over happens, I'll keep yens posted !!

J.
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2008 05:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
When I read your post the other day, I sent an email to
the folks who make Eco-Complete and this morning I got
a response back:

Frank,

Eco-complete supplies minerals, it does not supply fertilizer. There is a big difference here. Your Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium will need to be supplied through fish waste, fertilizer or other inputs. Eco-complete will supply all of the minerals your plants will need for the life of the tank that is it will never cease functioning.

Thanks,

Jud McCracken

Product Support,

CaribSea, Inc.

877-898-6108

jud@caribsea.com

based on this email, there is no reason to mix
Eco-Complete with SeaChem's flourite.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2008 21:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies