Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeMopani Wood question?
batzany
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 5
Votes: 0
female usa
I have a 5g eclipse hex that I'm in the process of putting back together. It will have a 5" half coconut shell cave with Java Moss attached, some Java Fern, and some grass. It will eventually house either a Betta Imbellis or a female Betta (can't decide).

I was going to tie the Java fern to small Rocks but then I came across this site: http://www.zoomed.com/html/mopani.php the other day. I've never heard of this wood. But they claim it's an african hardwood that doesn't deteriorate in aquariums.

I'd prefer to attached my Java Fern to wood but hate the mess regular driftwood makes. So does anyone have this wood in their tanks? If so, Is it as good as they claim?

Thanks & Take care ~ Sherri
Post InfoPosted 21-Apr-2007 01:10Profile PM Edit Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
Yes, this wood is great in an aquarium.
With the coconut shells that you have though, it is not
necessary. The plants will adhere to those shells just
as easily and might make a very interesting "landscape."

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 21-Apr-2007 15:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
batzany
-----
Fingerling
female usa
Thanks frank! I think you misread the part about the coconut shell though It's 1 half coconut shell that's 5-inches in diameter that I'm going to place in the center of the tank with some Java Moss tied on. I wish that I did have the room to put in more though.

I'm working with an 11.25 inch area. Taking the 5-inch coconut cave into account that leaves 6.25 inhes to work with. I plan on using the Java Fern as a background plant in the tank. But to do this using the mopani wood, I may need to cut it into smaller pieces. So here's my ultra blonde question: would cutting the mopani wood alter it's durability? Do you think it would absorb water where I had cut it open and decay faster? I'm thinking it would be fine, but you never know till you ask.

Thanks ~ Sherri
Post InfoPosted 22-Apr-2007 05:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
Mopani is great, it doesnt wear down as fast as regular bogwood does,plants adhere to it just the same, and when you have to really scrub it down it doesnt fall to piecesor kick out so much tannin. I have probably about 100lbs of the stuff in active use at the moment, and several pieces that are just as good as when I bought them 15 years ago. You still need to soak the stuff when you first get it, even the sandblasted stuff, but its tough and durable and doesnt put out much tannin compared to the darket bogwoods.
Post InfoPosted 22-Apr-2007 15:00Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
kitten
----------
Fish Guru
Meow?
Kudos: 2194
Votes: 19
female usa
I don't actually have experience with mopani (though I've heard great stuff about it) but I thought I'd comment on stocking...

My five-gallon bow front was intended as an imbellis colony (never got to that point, but that was the intended use) of a 2F/1M trio. Unfortunately, I never could get hold of a proper trio, and the tank got used for everything BUT imbellis and is now currently dry-docked in the closet. One of these days... maybe it will get drug out and finally become the imbellis-haven it was supposed to be. I stocked mine with all sorts of crypts and whatever other plants I could find that grew in the Thai area.

I wouldn't keep anymore than the one female betta in a five gallon, though... I kept two very very tiny girls together, growing them out for my 20 gallon community tank, but after a while, they grew a bit argumentative in the confines of 5 gallons.

Just thought I'd give you the option of a trio in a small tank... imbellis are not aggressive like splendens are, so they can be kept together.

~Meow. Thus spoke the cat.~
Post InfoPosted 22-Apr-2007 15:24Profile Homepage AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
batzany
-----
Fingerling
female usa
I'm gonna give the mopani wood a try ~ Thanks guys

Kitten ~ I wouldn't dream of putting more than 1 betta of any type, male or female, in this 5 gallon. I tried to house my first 2 females in a 10 gallon (1 of them was a free surprise bonus). Long story short: they tried to kill each other & were separated. I bought 3 more females and put the 5 of them in my 55 gallon tank.

Thanks again ~ Sherri
Post InfoPosted 23-Apr-2007 00:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies