AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# General
 L# Aquascaping
  L# Painting glass instead of fim backdrop?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribePainting glass instead of fim backdrop?
DarkCichlid
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 18
Votes: 0
male usa
My LFS has beautiful looking tanks with black backrounds that are painted on. I think it looks sharper than the film I am currently using. Any suggestions on what type of paint to use? How many coats? Can I put my fish back in it same day?
Post InfoPosted 11-Jun-2006 03:20Profile PM Edit Report 
OldTimer
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
USAF Retired
Kudos: 1294
Votes: 809
male usa
I just use a standard flat black paint right off the store shelf. I use a roller to apply it and it typically takes 3 coats to cover it completely. I clean the glass with vinegar prior to applying the paint to help in removing an residue, etc.

As far as placing the fish back in the tank, I think it is best to let the final coat dry for at least 24 hours before refilling with water.

Jim

Water, taken in moderation, cannot hurt anybody. -- Mark Twain
Post InfoPosted 11-Jun-2006 05:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
T'Ark'An'Ni Ak'Kan
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 119
Votes: 34
male australia
EditedEdited by T'Ark'An'Ni Ak'Kan
DarkCichlid;

I honestly wouldn't suggest painting inside the aquarium, but rather the outside of the aquarium. This way, there is a MUCH smaller chance of any contaminants entering the tank's contents. Also, this way you don't need to remove the fish (which can be highly stressful).

The best type of paint to use is acrylic, as you can wash/peel/scrape it off if you ever want to change colours.

Cheers,
Tarky
Post InfoPosted 13-Jun-2006 10:10Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
KariLyn23
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 32
Votes: 7
female usa
EditedEdited by KariLyn23
I think DarkCichlid is talking about painting the outside of the back of the aquarium, not the inside.

http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plants/month.9803/msg00113.html

I painted one of mine not too long ago, and found this article to be very helpful. If you decide to go with the spray enamel/lacquer, remember to tape newspaper or plastic over the aquarium opening, so that the fine particles don't find their way inside.

Whichever type of paint or technique you decide on, remember to do several thin coats. This will ensure that it dries completely, and will help the background to last longer than it would if one thick coat was applied. Clean the glass really well before painting, and as OldTimer said, 24 hours to dry.

Good luck!

Kari
Post InfoPosted 13-Jun-2006 15:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I have always use a good quality flat black water based paint (naturally on the outside). I small paint roller is the best to use, as to how many coats of paint it depends on the roller and quality of the paint used. Some times it can be hard to locate a small can of black paint I get around this by getting a samply tin.
What you must remember let the pain dry at least 12 hrs before you add more coats if not the previous coat will not be dry and the roller will peel off any previous coatings.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 18-Jun-2006 05:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Robb
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 1
EditedEdited by Babelfish
Hi guys,
I have been reading this thread with interest and would like to pass on some information that may help other others that are trying to decide which way to go.

I have used a blue film on the back of the tank ( goes from light blue at the top to dark blue at the bottom, which gives a fantastic effect). But the trick is how you stick the film to the glass..... KY gel !!! You just smear it on the film,stick it to the glass, use a ruler or some other type of straight edge and squeeze the excess to the sides (make sure it doesn't go into the tank). There are no air bubbles and no need to tape the edges. Mines been on for over a year and it still looks as perfect as the day I put it on.

So there you go,there's another way to improve the look of your tank!!!

Edit: Family Site
Post InfoPosted 25-Jun-2006 04:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
EditedEdited by Babelfish
I've mentioned it in another thread elsewhere but any oil will work.
I use plain veggie oil, but petroleum jelly also works from what I've read.
For those that are a little worried about using paint on the tanks using oil as an adhesive works very well and makes the background seem to be part of the tank rather than behind the tank.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 25-Jun-2006 12:32Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Little Caesar
---------------
-----
Fish Guru
Kudos: 548
male usa
my personal opinion....i do not like painted backgrounds because it is easy to mess up, it is permanent, and it often looks inconsistant.

if you like black backgrounds, i would suggest using either 1) black vinyl from a local fabric/craft store, or 2) just plain black poster board.

I have used both of these alternatives on my tanks and it looks great, trust me. and if you change your mind its easy to remove, because i just use masking tape to attach it to the trim on the back side of the tank. it also makes cleaning easier, because you can remove it to reveal any growing algae or dirt, which otherwise would not be visible.

also, this is probably much more affordable. poster board costs under a dollar for a big piece, and the vinyl will probably be like $3 a yard.

~*~ Caviar? no thanks! ~*~
Post InfoPosted 25-Jun-2006 19:22Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I would still prefer to paint. If it is done correctly (using a roller) and a good quality paint and certainly more than one coat it could eeasy take up to 5 coats.

Removal extremly easy as the paint cannot penetrate the glass it peels of with a razor blade in big sheets.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 26-Jun-2006 07:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ACIDRAIN

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 1381
Votes: 416
male usa us-ohio
I'm with Keith on this one, as I use paint on the outside of many of my tanks. To remove it is quite simple with a razor blade. Peels right off.

Usually takes about 3-5 coats. I have used different blues as well as black. I prefer the enamel over a laquer though.

If you are painting inside your tank, there are several articles across the web on the different processes you can use to do this as well. The biggest trick is that you will need to cover your painted end product with some kind of aqauarium safe epoxy. So as to seal it off from the water. I know that Sherwin Williams sells both paints and the clear epoxy for the inside of aquariums. You will most likely have to go through their wharehouse though to get it. As I don't know of any stores that stock it.

There is always a bigger fish...
Post InfoPosted 26-Jun-2006 20:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
I use acrylic art paint and seal it with an art sealer which is a fine plastic coating. all you have to do to get it off is drench it in water (wet a towel and toss it over for an hour or so) and it'll just bubble and come away from the glass.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 29-Jun-2006 07:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
carpe_diem
----------
Fish Addict
*Dreamer*
Kudos: 292
Votes: 51
female australia
just wondering on this topic.. is it safe to paint the back of the tank (outside) while the tank is running?
i really want to paint the back but i dont want to pull the tank apart to do it as i have no where to house the fish for that long...

if so .. what paint would be safe?

Truth doesn't always win friends but it influences them
Post InfoPosted 03-Jul-2006 04:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies