SubscribePossible substrate change for 90 gallon
General Hague
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 81
Votes: 3
male usa
EditedEdited by General Hague
I've got small natural looking gravel in the tank. It does not have a undergravel filter, it has a hang on back and canister filter. I'm thinking about getting sand for the tank. If I did decided to get sand for that tank in the future, would I be better off taking out all of the old gravel and then adding sand, or keeping both sand and gravel in?
Post InfoPosted 23-Jul-2008 03:24Profile PM Edit Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
You'd want to take the gravel out first, as the small particles of the sand would sift between the pieces of gravel and the gravel would end up on top. That'll be a big project!

><>
Post InfoPosted 23-Jul-2008 04:01Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
You would have to remove all the gravel first. It would be like a complete rebuild.

Next question why sand in my opinion sand is more trouble than it is worth?

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 23-Jul-2008 05:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
General Hague
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 81
Votes: 3
male usa
That would be a bunch of work just to remove the gravel. Why I like sand more is because it looks more ocean looking. "Fancy Gravel" is not in that tank, but I really can't stand that kind because of how fake and cheezy it looks.
Post InfoPosted 23-Jul-2008 07:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
A tank I bought used had faded purple gravel in it, was really gross, so I decided to switch to sand.

As has been mentioned it's a complete redo, since it was an office tank, I had to fit it into my work schedule and decided to do the tank half at a time. I used some stones to keep the gravel and sand from mixing till I got to doing the other half a few weeks later.

The whole switch over took a month + and for a month after I placed sand in it looked ok, but after that I started losing fish (from gas pockets that occurred even with turning the sand and having MTS in the tank), started losing filters (from the sand scouring the innards) and started losing the clean look, due to the inability to have enough water movement to pick up the waste from the sand but not the sand itself.

If I did it over again, I would have probably gone with a thicker grain sand/smaller gravel. I used playsand that not only took a lot of rinsing but ended up being the downfall of the tank.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 30-Jul-2008 03:17Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies