L# Refill Trix
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeRefill Trix
Krunchy
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 23
male usa
So my to refill my planted 40g after a water change, I put a plate between my 5gal bucket and the water... the problem is I need someone else to hold that plate! if my helper has to bail I have to go re-plant some of my less root-strong plants (corkscrews mostly but a piece of babys tears came up today)
I would like to hear some sharp tips so I dont have to get tricep deep every time I refill!
plus it may give others some good ideas too!
Post InfoPosted 01-Oct-2007 08:33Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Why not a new watering can from the hardware store?

We have one that holds about 2 gallons, has the little sprinkling bit so the water flows in slower.

If you have a powerhead and some tubing you can try pumping the water into the tank, just hold the tube to direct the water against the side of the glass to spray out into the tank.

You can also try slowly (this would be easier with a bucket smaller than 5gal) pouring the water into a HOB filter if that's what you're running.

I used to have this problem with my 10 gal, I think the easiest thing is to just pour the water in more slowly...time consuming I know, especially if there be pirates to plunder.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 01-Oct-2007 13:57Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Doedogg
---------------
Banned
Kudos: 737
Votes: 445
female usa
If you use a python, there is no need for buckets at all. Mine comes in mighty handy when I change my 55 (or any tank for that matter).

I used to be Snow White, but I drifted.
~ Mae West
Post InfoPosted 01-Oct-2007 18:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gone_Troppo

----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 196
australia au-northernterritory
Hi,

In our smaller tanks I use the gravel vac and siphon new, conditioned water from the bucket into the tank, this does require the bucket to be higher than the tank obviously, sitting it on a stool or a step ladder usually works for me, and saves the arms a bit, but anything water proof, that is tall and stable enough to safely hold the bucket will do the trick, this way also allows me the time to fill another bucket while the first one is still siphoning into the tank.

I definitely wouldn't recomend placing the bucket on the rim of the tank, on top of glass lids or the centre brace to achieve the required height, the weight of the bucket and/or repeated action of placing it there may just prove to be too much for the tank to handle eventually.

For our big tank (180 gal), I'm aware that this is not the best practice and that other members will undoubtedly strongly advise against it.

I simply use the garden hose turned down really low to the point that it is only just maintaining a slow dribble/trickle (ie: a refill after a 10% water change is done over about an hour or so, while larger changes up to 50% can take as long as 4-6 hours to refill) and the required amount of water conditioner is added directly into the flow periodically. I am fortunate enough to live in an area where our tap water quality is usually fairly good year round, and water directly from the tap pretty closely matches the pH, hardness and temperature of the tank water. I have been using this method for several years and have found through my own experiences that the slower I refill the tank the better it is for the inhabitants, both fish and plants, Also the greater the water parameter difference between the tank and supply the more time required to refill the tank safely.

On the rare occasions in the distant past while I was rather uneducated in the ways of successful fish keeping, and I had been impatient and refilled the tank far too quickly some of my more sensitive fish had visibly suffered ill effects from parameters being changed too rapidly one BGK even died from it while other less sensitive fish were aparantly completely unaffected from what I could ascertain at the time.

Remember that any change done too quicky even if for the better can be stressing and even fatal to your fish, regardless of the method you use to refill the tank, Not to mention that your plants, which were your main concern, are likely to be uprooted if you do it too fast anyway.

I know this is the refill trix thread but I'm also going to add the draining trick that I use to avoid carrying heavy buckets around and having to restart the siphon between buckets etc....quite simple really....stick the end of the gravel vac siphon hose into a larger diameter hose/pipe and drain it directly outside onto the gardenbeds/lawns, I use a length of 18mm black plastic water pipe that I picked up at the hardware store, I clamp one end to the side of the tank, the other end goes out the front door and onto my lawn, I use this on all my tanks that are within reach of the pipe, allthough there is still one or two small tanks that I still have to do the "March of the buckets" for.

Hopefully some of this will help somebody one day, maybe even save someone from doing themselves an injury.

G_T

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Post InfoPosted 01-Oct-2007 18:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Krunchy
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 23
male usa
HAHAHA! March of the buckets! that is hilarious... some good ideas being shifted around here, esp. the plundering time crunch that is significant... I like th HOB option, I may try that for the next one to see how it works... at least I wont have to do curls that day!
Post InfoPosted 02-Oct-2007 00:34Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
I pour water directly onto a rock or piece of driftwood - some largeish hard piece of aquascaping. It's been working pretty well for me.

><>
Post InfoPosted 02-Oct-2007 06:34Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies