Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeRock Terrace
sodaaddict84
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 108
Votes: 52
male usa
ok i have seen a lot of planted tank pictures, using rock and drift wood. ok hers the deal i have rocks in my tank, they have been there for a while with no problem, but they look a bit big for my setup. i want a planted tank, so i was thinking maybe making a rock terrace on one side to elevate som plants then put a peice of driftwood diagnaly from the top to bottom. anybody have any suggestion? i have hear allot of people say to put the visual strong point just to the left or right of the center. so should i have it come out from the back toward the front?

*click *flash *click "whered he go???"
Post InfoPosted 05-Dec-2006 22:47Profile PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
A lot of times the specific piece of driftwood or rocks will determine the aquascape. I think you've got a good idea as far as a terrace to give height to some of the plants, but you'll be limited as to which plants can go on the terrace. Some like plenty of substrate to dig and with the rocks forming the terrace you may not be able to provide the depth for the roots..I'd limit the plants on the terrace to something like java fern .

Maybe look for a piece of wood that can look like it got trapped between some of the rocks, so rather than just one branch have one with a few side branches? If you do go with java fern it can then easily spread from the rock terrace to the branches.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 06-Dec-2006 04:59Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Yes you can aquscape from one item, DW, rock, or a plant/group of plants.

What you are refering to is a focal "point". This is usually placed 1/3 in from the left hand end and 2/3rds back from the front. Many will say the opposite but the eye naturally follows from left to right (as we read/write)
The same goes for height you want a steady even flow to a low point.
Does this help you If you want more detailed info PM me.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 06-Dec-2006 05:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sodaaddict84
----------
Enthusiast
male usa
thanks for the replies. babelfish i was thinking more along the lines of using the rocks to make the outer edges of the terrace. sort of like a retaining wall the filling the inner part with substrate. then after doing that i was thinging of covering the rocks with moss. i just dont know what kind of plants would contrast nicely with the mossy rocks

Post InfoPosted 06-Dec-2006 09:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
When it comes to plants that contrast to mossy rocks,
you have a couple of options.
You can "point/counter point" (contrast) with leaf shape, or with leaf color, or with leaf size.

Most don't like a tank with the same shade of green
throughout the tank. So, they choose plants and group
them so that the shades complement each other and pull
the eye to a focal point, sometimes a red plant, or
other times a more vivid green plant.

Sometimes folks will use leaf shape starting with narrow
and expanding across the tank to broad. Or, they center,
slightly off center, a broad leaf plant and work toward
narrow at the sides, or vice versa.

All kinds of options. Keep looking at pictures of planted
tanks to get your inspiration for your tank.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 06-Dec-2006 17:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sodaaddict84
----------
Enthusiast
male usa
yea that sounds like a good idea. ill keep looking before i actually start

Post InfoPosted 07-Dec-2006 00:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sodaaddict84
----------
Enthusiast
male usa
ok well i took a long stare at my tank and concluded that it would look best with the terrace if i did it half and half. thinking of using the rock to make the outline of the terrace. going from the front left corner to the back wall about center. but having the rocks curved making a cove, which the dw will cover. i was thinking of making the focal point in the cove. ill try and draw up a sketch tonight after work.

Post InfoPosted 10-Dec-2006 04:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
That sounds like a pretty neat idea. I'm thinking of some of the areas I dive in, they're usually old quarries where they hit the aquifer and it flooded. Anyway the sides are straight down and steep and sometimes have pieces of driftwood collapsed against them. Just remember that when you make your terrace you'll want it to look somewhat natural....Unless you want to go for a flooded garden look .

^_^

Post InfoPosted 14-Dec-2006 18:41Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
sodaaddict84
----------
Enthusiast
male usa
like said before im gonna use the rocks like a retaining wall... but your right i have to take in the nature factor. but i think i can manage with the use of plants and creativity

Post InfoPosted 16-Dec-2006 08:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies