SubscribeSand Questions For Nano Tank
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
Hi all!

I have seen some nano tanks, and my favorite one has black sand as a substrate. I was wondering how hard it is to keep sand, in a nano tank. I will have MTS to stirr it up, and prevent Anerobic Bacteria from growing. I will have a 10g HOB filter running on it, and i will also have a DIY black spong prefilter sleeve. The black sand in the nano ive seen looks very elegant, modern, sleek, and beautiful. I want a black sand substrate, and i dont know what kind i should get. Should i get some of the LFS sand they sell, or should i get the sand they sell in stores like ikea, or should i get sand from the pool store? Any help would be nice, and i dont need drastic amts of sand. How much depth should it be for an ideal sand planted tank? I will be housing shrimps in the tank, along with lots of groundcover live plants, like glosso, clover, dwarf hairgrass, and maybe later, Riccia. ANy help is greatly appreciated!

THanks,
~Goby

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 15-Dec-2007 01:04Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
Before you purchase black sand, take a look at the new
Sea-Chem, Flourite - black. The Flourite would provide
the iron that your plants need to thrive.

As far as depth is concerned, as long as you stick with
the foreground or carpet type of plants, you don't really
need more than an inch to an inch and a half, max. The
reason why 3-4 inches of substrate is normally recommended
is to accommodate any plant from the aforementioned carpet
plants to the plants with huge root systems such as the
Amazon Swords and some crypts.

While sand can work, it is normally "black blast." That is
a "sand" that is used in sand blasting and is normally
just pure silica (glass). It is light and easily drawn
into the filter where it can clog or destroy the impeller.

The Flourite won't do that.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 15-Dec-2007 02:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
It is the old story if it looks good it should be good. That is certainly not the case with sand in a tank.
As Frank stated sand is basically a cutter and it will cut you impeller to threads extremely quick. The sand particles are so fine it cannot be seen and that is what does the damage.

I do not know of the product that Fank is talking about.
I have seen a black 1-3mm gravel and this also might be worth considering that is if you can locate it.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 15-Dec-2007 08:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
male usa
Well, i myself have never heard, or either seen the black flourite. I would love to use it, but i cant find it......Maybe i could get it online? How big is the gravel? Like pea gravel? I would rather use a nutrient rich substrate though, if i couldnt have sand.... THe whole point for the sand, was to make it look black and modern. If theres anything that looks as good as sand, and is smallish, i will take it!!! (Has to be Black)

Thanks Again!

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
Post InfoPosted 15-Dec-2007 09:21Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
http://azgardens.com/newsubst2.php

You can find some here, second item on the page. I think that's what Frank was talking about.

><>
Post InfoPosted 15-Dec-2007 16:50Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
male usa
EditedEdited by GobyFan2007
Ah,, onyx sand.......

Alright, i have yet to see it in my LFS. I wouldnt order it online, as the price for shipping may be wayyy .... It is a good consideration though, if i will find it! Also, i am sure eco complete will do the same job, but i know a place that sells it! I might get eco-complete, or.....

I might get Tahitian Moon Sand by Caribsea. I have heard it is a great alternative to regular sand, and is slightly larger grained too. That will prevent it from getting blown out and sucked up, right? Also, there wont be an anerobic bacteria problem, right? I am going to have MTS snails, and they are great aerators, i hear!

What do you guys think? I might be starting the Nano sooner than i thought...... Too Excited!

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
Post InfoPosted 16-Dec-2007 08:09Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Kudos: 138
Votes: 13
female usa us-massachusetts
EditedEdited by catdancer
The Tahitian mooon sand is not recommended for planted tanks. It is synthetic and you will have to provide 'plant food' continuously. Rather tedious if you want to go with live plants, particularly in a nano where application of root tabs will mess with the aquasquaping. Eco-complete is a great substrate and dark gray/black in appearance. The average grain size is very small, but there are larger paticles in it as well. Flourite is a wonderful substrate and the 'black' colored one is an excellent choice, however, not good for bottom dwellers due to its irregular shape and sharp edges. Of course, there are also the trendy ADA alternatives, beautiful, great for plants but not exactly inexpensive.
Post InfoPosted 22-Dec-2007 18:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
male usa
Is the sand not reccomended because of aesthetic reasons, or because of health of plant reasons. I wont mind putting some plant tabs in there, and i will put it so that they will be laying face down, and in half. Now, i think tahitian moon is better for plants than the regular play sand. It wont compact, as it is larger grained, about the size of rock salt or sugar. Also, i am reluctant to go to the store in my area to buy anything, as they are very pushy, and try to make me buy a glorified DIY co2 plant system. I think im just going to stick with the tahitian moon, as the shipping for sand would be very high if i were to mail order it!

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
Post InfoPosted 23-Dec-2007 02:27Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
The sand is not recommended for planting for several reasons. Is does compress no matter how course it is and this causes problems with aeration of the substrate which the aquarium plants require. It also can and usually crushes the fine roots of the plants. I know I have mentioned it before but if you want black substrate just hunt for it.
Just because you "Want, and must have it" does not mean you can have it for the purpose you intend to use it. I will guarantee within a short time you will be wanting to change again because you have seen something different or new.

Sorry Goby, but this time I think you will have to listen to the huge combined years of experience you have been given.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 23-Dec-2007 04:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies