SubscribeSand Substrate And Potted Plants
Brengun

----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 187
Votes: 110
female australia au-queensland
Sand substrate and plants in pots.
My gravel is a white quartz type in one of my tanks and I seem to have had no end of disease and problems in this tank since I put the gravel in.

I was considering a sand substrate but instead of planting the plants straight into the sand, I thought I might get them growing in pots.

This is the bit I have no idea on. What sort of pots (apart from little itty bitty ones) do you use?
Do you put soil, gravel, potting moss, fertilizer or what in there?

I have already just about gotten a scientific phd in learning about water, and a biology phd in fish, and a medical phd for diseases. I might as well learn all about plants while I'm at it.
Post InfoPosted 19-Nov-2007 01:59Profile PM Edit Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
Do you really think that the sand will solve ALL of the new problems? Anyway, what do you tink of very fine gravel? I personally think that it is better than sand, and you dont have to put the plants in the pots. Now if you are really consistent on sand, then i could suggest that you fill the pots with fine gravel, or pea gravel. In the end, i think it would be defeating the purpose if you put in sand, and then filled it up with gravel. Also, it depends on what plants you are going to use. What plants do you use? With swords and crypts, and also the root feeders, I would suggest you get all fine gravel as your only substrate, as they do tend to spread out alot. Also i wouldnt suggest you put ferts and potting moss and soil into the pots. The ferts, if theyre designated for aquarium useage, or are jobes plant spikes, i think are ok, but potting moss may lower PH and Hardness(I think), and soil will degrade and decay in the water, making it a mess and making it smell really bad. If it is aquatic soil, however, that is A-OK i think.

Anyways, It truly is up to you, and sand does look nice, but IMHO, i think that fine gravel would be better off for you and your tank. I heard that putting plants in sand isnt good for them, and can constrict and compact the roots. BTW, what are your problems in the tank? Are they gravel based? Maybe they can be solved otherways, but i still suggest fine or even pea gravel. It all depends on your preferences and plants, so......yeah!

Well, have fun deciding! Im sure that you will make a wise, informed descision. Try to look into fine grained gravel though, and congrats on the PHDs, Professor Brengun....Or is it Doctor Brengun?

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 19-Nov-2007 03:22Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
It might not be the substrate but if it is just remove it completely.
As diseases I would be checking the filtration, water changes, and any additives your are adding or should be adding at water changes.

Just for starters how about you run through your tank completely,
size of tank, fish, water supply tests, substrate we know but not depth, filtration type its cleaning how & how often, aeration. water peramiters of tank. Plants live or plastic also any ornaments, DW.

I would use a good quality 1-3mm natural colouring river pebbles (or a similar name)

I have never left the plants in the pots reason it can and does restrict the root natural growth.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 19-Nov-2007 04:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Brengun

----------
Big Fish
I thought sand might be better for my cories and their little whiskers. The tank is 40l, heated and aerated with an airstone and a canister sponge filter with a spray bar attached. Plants are wisteria, java, anubias on driftwood, banana lillies, and some sort of water rose plant.
Fish are 2 cories and 1/2 dozen Dw Gourami.
There was previously guppies in this tank and a columnaris outbreak killed off most of them. The guppies left after treatment were relocated to the bigger community tank.
The quartz gravel was rinsed in hot water and the plants rinsed in vinegar and water. Before resetting up and cycling for several weeks.
This tank I would like to try sand in is the the tank with the finrotted cory in it. The finrot is not due to filtration, or water quality. I think something was still left in the gravel, or the dw gouramis carried it but they must be immune as none of them show anything wrong.
I have had the cories for quite a while and if sand is better for them I would like to try some.

I have a bucket of beach sand (not cleaned yet) whereas I don't have any fine gravel on hand. I brought the sand home last beach holiday to sprinkle on my wet painted stairs to make the surface non slip.
The lfs carries quite large stuff and charge a fortune. The supermarket has itty bitty bags of painted gravel. The landscaping center is out of town somewhere but I'm not sure where as subdivisions are relocating a lot of those businesses.
Even my backyard is just pure sandy loam with no gravel or rocks about.
Post InfoPosted 19-Nov-2007 05:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
Kudos: 83
Votes: 242
male australia
Bren , Sand can cause a few problems of its own . Beach sand is a real no no .
If you really want sand you need to get River Sand .
Now for the problems .
1 PH can be altered and hard to keep stable over time .
2. Sand can get compacted over time and cause anaerobic pockets which can be
poisonous to both plants and fish .
3. Said compacting can crush plants roots and cause them to rot .
4. Sand over time discolours and starts to look very unsightly .

Thats not to say that its not done or that it doesn't look good . But from what I can
see and read its very hard to keep in tip top shape , and that means a lot more work .
My experience with Corys so far is that they do fine with small gravel and its the safest bet .

Anyway hope this helps , lets us know what you decide .

Garry

Post InfoPosted 19-Nov-2007 12:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Brengun

----------
Big Fish
I spoke with my lfs and they have one tank with that same gravel and it also has no end of problems with the fish in it. Their other tanks with different gravel are fine.
They are getting in some fine red gravel. /:'
Post InfoPosted 19-Nov-2007 17:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies