AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# General
 L# Aquascaping
  L# Styrene plastic models as decorations?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeStyrene plastic models as decorations?
ccrdrjo
----------
Small Fry
Kudos: 2
Votes: 0
male usa
I'm relatively new to aquariums (I set up my 8-year old daughter's 10-gallon tank last year, and it's been mine for about 11-1/2 months), but I got the bug. I have an empty 55 gallon tank that I'm getting ready to set up, and I was thinking about using self-made plastic models as part of the decor (I'm thinking about a WWII-themed ship and airplane graveyard sort of thing).

What are the risks? The models would likely be painted and weathered using a variety of paint types. Standard solvent glue (model airplane glue) and cyanoacrylic adhesive (superglue) would be used. For weighting, I would probably use lead shot for weighting (the tank will be freshwater, so oxidation and leaching shouldn't be a problem).

Thanks in advance for your help.
Post InfoPosted 26-Oct-2006 07:15Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
The big answer here is no for certain.
Reason there would be enough chemicals combined with the lead to kill every thing in the tank very quickly.

If you wish do that type of aquscaping you would be far better hunting several LFS or the internet for suitable decorations especially made for aquariums.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 26-Oct-2006 08:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ccrdrjo
----------
Small Fry
Kudos: 2
Votes: 0
male usa
Is it the lead that causes the biggest problem? That can be replaced. Does styrene create chemical issues?
Post InfoPosted 27-Oct-2006 05:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
No the lead is only part of the problem. I would be concerned with any chemicals/glues used in an aquarium unless especially designed for that purpose of aquarium use only.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 27-Oct-2006 08:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies