AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# General
 L# Aquascaping
  L# Tank viewable from both sides - suggestions?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeTank viewable from both sides - suggestions?
beetledance
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 21
Votes: 6
female usa
This is my 10 gallon tank, pretty bare bones at this point. The kicker is that it divides part of the living room, so can be seen from 3 sides: back, front, and one short side.
Pics:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/moja1101/album?.dir=/ec67&.src=ph

let me know if that link doesn't work. I'm still getting the hang of this.

I've rearranged the two pieces of driftwood & java 3 or 4 times; I'm just not happy with it. Having trouble stepping back and seeing "the big picture". I plan to get more tall plants to hide the heater/filter at the one end. Will take awhile though, due to a very small budget.
Ideas?
Post InfoPosted 11-Mar-2006 02:35Profile PM Edit Report 
luvmykrib
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 256
Votes: 27
female canada
I like the reef look in tanks that are visible from both sides. More driftwood and lots of java fern and anubias in a pile in the middle with smaller plants like pygmy chain sword around the perimeter, then if people want to see the whole tank they have to walk all the way around.

"If you're afraid you'll make a mistake, you won't make anything."
-Family Circus
Post InfoPosted 11-Mar-2006 02:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Here are some suggestions for you to think about.

Place the larger piece at the filter end 1/3 from the end. Then place the smaller piece at the open end also 1/3 in from the end. Before you do this put all the Jave Fern on the larger piece of DW. I would tie some Nana Anubias to the smaller piece of DW.

The pieces of DW do not want to be lying along the center line of the length of the tank stagger them just a little.

Add plenty of tall small leavy plants at the filter end.

If possible paint or put a black backgroung at the filter end this will make the tank look bigger.

I would also buy as many low plants as you could to try to cover the substrate.
As you are working on a small budget suggest strongly plants for a Easter presents. For the plants I would try to keep to all green and the smaller leafed varieties if possible and no more that 4-5 species of plants otherwise it will like a green garden salad and be too overpowering in your case less varieties will look much better.

What I am trying to create is a slow but steady unrestricted climb from the open end to a full height at the filter end.

You want to keep both sides open as it will make the tank look smaller and not have that see through look

One question but that tank looks larger that a 10G it could be the photography. What are the measurements of that tank?

If you would like more info please PM me and I will give you my E/m address

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 11-Mar-2006 06:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
beetledance
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
Thanks for the suggestions.
Yup, it's a 10g (20x10x12" ). Must be my trick photography.
Place the larger piece at the filter end 1/3 from the end. Then place the smaller piece at the open end also 1/3 in from the end. Before you do this put all the Jave Fern on the larger piece of DW. I would tie some Nana Anubias to the smaller piece of DW.

The java was on the larger piece - I just pulled it off prior to the pics. I don't really like it though, so I'll try what you said.
Post InfoPosted 11-Mar-2006 07:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
beetledance
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
What do you think of the driftwood placement now?
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/moja1101/album?.dir=/7dbe&.src=ph
I still haven't done the black paper at the filter end, but I moved the driftwood and java fern. I Also anchored down some of the hornwort so it doesn't look so dang barren. Eventually I will fill in amongst the driftwood with small foreground plants.
Post InfoPosted 15-Mar-2006 19:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
Kudos: 1029
Votes: 35
female usa
How much light do you have? I have a 10g, with 2wpg...it is only viewable from the front and sides though. Rotala rotundifolia (also called indica) is a good small leaved tall plant. Dwarf sag or pygmy chain sword are good forground plants. I have dwarf sag in the front of my 10g. If you wanted a simple design you could plant either of the foreground plants all around the DW. Then tie some petite nana anubias to the other piece of DW. That way you wouldn't have a "background" since the tank is viewed from the front and back.

Just a suggestion.

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 15-Mar-2006 19:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Rotala indica in a 10 and you'll constantly be trimming it's ends (and replanting ) so you wont need to get much.

Instead of black paper, which I'm still not a fan of, you might try something slightly different which I think will really work for what you're doing. Use a mirror. Either have it placed directly against the tank, or if you can get one with a really nice frame mount it on the wall away from the tank this will help emphasise the tank as a piece in itself rather than just another object in the room. However keep in mind that mirrors reflect everything including algae, and the filter. You'll want to find a way to help hide it better.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 15-Mar-2006 23:30Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
I like the location of the DW. But not the tall plant at the open end adventually it will grow thicker and stop a clean view from that end. That is the reason I suggested the triangular aquscape basically from substrate to the top of the tank at the wall end. I would get some Anubias Nana for that piece of DW. That tank will take some time to develop providing you do it corectly if not it will just look ordinary and you will very quickly get sick of it. My plan is always think twice then rethink again and then act once. It is an old tradesman saying and it never fails.

Re the mirror I had a full mirror at the back of my first 4ft SW tank yes it looked good but the biggest fault was that as a mirror it was reflective and was extremly anoying. If you want some thing to stand out always place a plain blank colour behind it for the best effect. By using black in a fish tank it gives added depth and makes every thing stand out except if you intend to have all black/dark coloured fish, then you have to go to a pale blue colour.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 16-Mar-2006 02:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
beetledance
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
Wow, thanks so much for all the suggestions guys!
As for lighting, it is like 16W.
As for the rangy plant at the open end, that's just some of the clump of hornwort I threw in there to have SOMEthing there. Don't intend to leave it.
Post InfoPosted 16-Mar-2006 05:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Good to hear about that front plant.

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 16-Mar-2006 07:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
resle
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 112
Votes: 14
male usa
IMO this kind of thing only works if the room is very dark so as not to distract from the tank
Post InfoPosted 19-Mar-2006 04:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies