Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeThemes....
Fishrockmysox
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 58
Votes: 12
female usa
Okay, so I'm going to be getting a 55g soon(Early January) and I was wondering about themes. IT will be a community tank with an assortment of fish(to find out the list look at Signature or go to General Freshwater Disscusion and look under Choosing Fish...).

Any ideas and opinions are apperciated Thanks!!

10G- 6 Zebra Danios, 1 Upside Down Catfish
20G- 1 Goldfish
72G(maybe95)- Need Stock suggestions
Post InfoPosted 22-Oct-2006 03:06Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa

I have a 55 gal. & couldn't make up my mind so I did one half to look like under the ocean. Fake decorations from wal-mart. The other half I did like under a stream or lake, with rocks, wood, a few fake plants (you could go with real). This is a normal long 55, not a square one.

I don't think the fish really care as long as they have hiding places. But then I never asked the opinion of the people here on FP, so if someone objected to that, I wouldn't have heard. Don't think it would win a tank contest. It hasn't in this house......... but it's my tank & so far I like it.
Post InfoPosted 22-Oct-2006 05:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
Kudos: 1029
Votes: 35
female usa
I prefer my tanks to look natural, so I use live plants and driftwood....but thats just me.

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 22-Oct-2006 21:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Fishrockmysox
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
Thank you both for the opinions

Yes, I do like my tanks to look natural although I have fake platns instead of live ones in my 10g and then in the 55g I'll have plenty of live and a few fake lol. I will get some driftwood too

20G- 1 Goldfish
Post InfoPosted 22-Oct-2006 23:11Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa

Look at pictures of peoples tanks on this site as well as other sites & that will give you more ideas maybe.
Post InfoPosted 23-Oct-2006 00:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
carpe_diem
----------
Fish Addict
*Dreamer*
Kudos: 292
Votes: 51
female australia
i have the 'natural' theme in both my 20g and 55g tanks.

natural gravel.. a few pieces of driftwood and real plants (however you can get real looking fake plants these days so whatever is easier for you)

again its up to what you like .. i tend to browse through a few websites to get ideas ..

Truth doesn't always win friends but it influences them
Post InfoPosted 23-Oct-2006 00:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Fishrockmysox
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
Yeah, in my 10g I have 'natural' looking plants.

20G- 1 Goldfish
Post InfoPosted 23-Oct-2006 01:11Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Both of my tanks are natural and all the tanks I have ever had in 35+ years were natural. Never any of those artifical things at all. Natural DW, rocks, and plants. Even the gravel is a natural fine 1-3mm river pebbles yes it is a natural colour as well.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 23-Oct-2006 09:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Fishrockmysox
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
Well, I have 4-5 years expirience...Not 35+ lol And I really wasn't sure about having live plants and now I decided to have them in the 55g I'll be getting

20G- 1 Goldfish
Post InfoPosted 23-Oct-2006 13:34Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Kunzman96
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 91
Votes: 115
male usa
I always go natural too accept I use fake plants for now. I have seen some Greek, and Atlantis ruin themes though that look really cool. I guess part of me still wants that tank that I yearned for as a child.

"Talk is cheap. Action can be almost as affordable"
Post InfoPosted 02-Nov-2006 01:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
illustrae
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 876
female usa
all of my tanks, from the 5 gallon tot he 65 gallon, are natural, but they're all different kinds of natural. One is heavily planted with junglepgarden theme of bunches of stem plants and a little hardscape (driftwood) poking out of the lush growth, one is planted only with lots of anubias on large piece of bogwood (very low maitenance!), my small tanks tend to be mostly crypts and aponogetons with a few pieces of wood with ferns and moss on them, and then I have two african tanks, one with lots of rockwork on blakc and white sand, with bright green sprigs of java fern, anubias, and a few crypts, and the other has only a few moss-covered rocks on peach-colored sand with lots of shells.
They all look natural, but they're all very different, so there's tons of flexibility when it comes to natural themes.

I also have hopes of one day doing a whimsical tank with store bought decorations and brightly colored fake plants. It's perfectly viable, and I think they can look just as good as the heavily planted tanks, in their own way.

Hoping that there must be a word for everything I mean...
Post InfoPosted 02-Nov-2006 16:58Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies