Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribecleaning wood!?!?!?!?!?!??!
ku5626
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 61
Votes: 7
male usa
I bought a piece of wood for my aquarium about 5 months ago. and at this time it is getting pretty covered up with green algae. i was wondering if their is anything i could do to get the wood back to looking more like a brown piece of wood, than a green object.

i have never tried to clean one before, but i was thinking about boiling it and seeing if that got the algae to come off? or is their any chemicals i could buy that would safely get the algae off so i could use the peice of wood again?

Thanks!
Post InfoPosted 29-Oct-2009 00:06Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Report 
donovan
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 26
Votes: 143
male usa
is it the bushy kind of algae ? or is it kinda spread all over it in a thin film ,,i have several chunks of mopani in my tank my bn plecos keep it really clean but it does every so often get a bushy looking clump of algea growing on it i just kinda pop it off with the hose on the water vac it gets sucked into the waste water
Post InfoPosted 29-Oct-2009 00:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
If the wood doesn't have too many nooks and crannies, you could just scrub it.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 29-Oct-2009 01:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ku5626
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 61
Votes: 7
male usa
its more like a thin film of really grean algae, and it does have a lot of nooks and cranny's on it so scrubbing wouldn't work out so well. would boiling it take the algae off?
Post InfoPosted 29-Oct-2009 03:37Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Boiling will break down the wood (that's how they turn wood into a pulp for making paper after all ).
A few minutes won't destroy the wood in your tank, but it will smell pretty bad. Boiling wood that's been in a tank (or natural source) usually will smell, add the algae on top of that and you'll have a pretty big stink in the kitchen. Be sure to do it on a warmish day when you can keep the windows open. They may be getting pretty rare depending on where you are in the states.

I'd look to addressing the cause of the algae as well, or it'll just keep coming back. If you don't have live plants in the tank reduce the number of hours the light is on. If you do have live plants in the tank try adding more. Also consider how old the light bulb itself is. and the type.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 29-Oct-2009 13:02Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
it seems to me that a pleco might take care of that, if you can handle that size fish in your tank.
Post InfoPosted 01-Nov-2009 18:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
EditedEdited 02-Nov-2009 05:50
Babelfish is spot on.

You could boil, bake it in the sun, or do what ever you want to to remove it.
Never use chemicals, it will kill the algae but at the same time if the fish eat the dead algae this could cause other problems, it might also effect all your other plants as well.

But it will keep coming back until you work out what is causing the algae to grow on the DW.
Scott is correct that is one way to control it but it will not stop it growing.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 02-Nov-2009 05:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies