L# 55 Gallon Catfish Suggestions
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribe55 Gallon Catfish Suggestions
RLHam3
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 34
Votes: 0
hey i've got a 55 gallon aquarium with two young jack dempsey cichlids(2in) and 1 young green terror(2.5in) these are all very docile especially for their species. I also have one pleco that is around 8in. I'm using this as a grow out tank so i know that i will need to move a lot out of here.

Here is what i need help with. I am looking for a cool active catfish that could do ok with my cichlids for a little while. here's what i've been thinking(i'd just want to go with one of these):

1 lima shovelnose
3-4 pictus
1 iridescent shark
1 Pangasius catfish

if anybody knows anything about any of these fish i would really appricate your advice! i'd also love any other suggestions that you have

PS- i'm planning to move everytihng out in less than a year
Post InfoPosted 31-Jan-2009 20:30Profile PM Edit Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
honestly it sounds like your tank is at its full capacity so i wouldnt add anything more.

but depending upon the size of the catfish and the cichlids, the pictus should be able to hold its own in the tank IMO. they also will benefit from live feedings of small live bearers or small feeders of any kind.

-Brandon

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 31-Jan-2009 22:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
the lima shovel noes wont work bescause it can get up 2 18+ inches and needs a 90 gallon tank at the very min..... the iridescent shark will get around 5 feet long and very active so u will need a aquarium that 20 feet long and 8 feet wide and about 6 feet tall..... the paroon shark(Pangasius catfish) will get much larger like around 8 feet long and are very active and just double for the iridescent sharks demension........ the pictus would work out but u already got 2 10"+ and a 12+ fish in there and they are extreamly aggressive fish and the pictus will soon get stressed out and might get ich so u dont want that.

i would just get a 125+ gallon tank before u get anymore fish. this is why i keep bichirs cuz they have no problem letting others mess with them and takes a lot to make them mad.
Post InfoPosted 01-Feb-2009 03:28Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
EditedEdited by keithgh
LIMA SHOVELHOSE
IRIDESCENT SHARK

I think this will change your mind very quickly

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 01-Feb-2009 03:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
RLHam3
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 34
Votes: 0
i know it won't long term but its a GROW OUT TANK!!!

that means this is not their permanent home!!!!!!!!
Post InfoPosted 01-Feb-2009 07:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
male
like i said get a 125 gallon tank before think about anymore fish in that tank because sooner than u know thos fish will kill eachother and if u get the 125 u can have the lima shovelnose....
Post InfoPosted 01-Feb-2009 09:38Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
3-4 pictus would be AOK in that 55 gallon. Adult cichlids have been known to eat them, though. riri does touch on the fact that they are susceptible to ich. Out of your choices, I would recommend these. Then move at the cichlids and pleco soon.

Lima shovelnoses are not active, at least not during the day. They tend to spend the day associated with plants or roots and just chill out. Every fish is different, though. I do not recommend this fish until you've got your bigger tank. BTW, I've seen this fish approach 2' long, but that fish was in an appropriately sized pond; such a fish would need a 180 gallon at least.

I blame the aquarium trade for irresponsibly continuing the trade of fish like the shark catfishes of the Pangasius genus. They are schooling, active, BIG species of fish. They are near impossible to keep in most people's home aquarium. I deny anyone that wants these since the probability they have the resources to maintain even just one is very unlikely.

Get that big new tank and then we'll start talking. After all, it's less than a year, right?

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 01-Feb-2009 21:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
male
yes well i still think that if u add a fish the gets stressed really bad and a fish that gets ich a lot shouldnt be put with cichlids that are gona fight and annoy them. i would just get a bunch of hideing spots so the cichlids dont mess with the cats till they get ich and then possiable have ur other fish get it.

limas are active if they got enough room or are hunting for some fish to eat. i know a few people that can give the iridecent and parron sharks a great home.
Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2009 00:25Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Hooben

-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 219
male usa us-texas
EditedEdited by Hooben
I was given an iridescent shark with the purchase of a used tank. Now the fish is 6 years old and 13 inches long. These are not good fishes to have in groups or in anything less than a 300 gallon tank. They are very nervous fish and will panic easily.
Be careful when adding fish to existing tanks. One sick fish, or a fish that stresses the rest can lead to total losses.

Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2009 14:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
male
actualy 300 gallons is a little small for it go for more of the 4000+ gallons should be fine.....
Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2009 22:25Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies