AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Species
 L# Bottom Feeder Frenzy
  L# Big Catfish Photos - Giraffe and huge Royal..
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeBig Catfish Photos - Giraffe and huge Royal..
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
Thought Shingigami and LHG would appreciate these photos that we snapped at a lfs. both are for sale..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/Trappedmetal/Other%20Animals/random003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/Trappedmetal/Other%20Animals/random002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/Trappedmetal/Other%20Animals/random001.jpg

- My hand to show the size of these huge but friendly fish.
James
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2008 22:22Profile PM Edit Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
EditedEdited by Shinigami
Nice looking Royal, and the Giraffe cat's not bad either. How big would you guess those two fish to be? It's hard for me to tell. How much was that Royal going for?

It's a good thing giraffe cats aren't very common. That's one huge fish.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2008 22:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
Aww hes cute aint he? Mine should be that size in about 2 years. Giraffe has to be about 2 and a half foot there, they used to have a good 3 footer at bristol zoo a few years ago, slightly different subspecies though. Hes got nice pattern for his age.
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2008 23:10Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
sora
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 96
Votes: 134
male usa
wow.

The true test of character is not how much we know how to do, but how we behave when we dont know what to do.
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2008 23:13Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
male usa us-delaware
Hey LHG what's your tank size for actually maintaining a behemoth like that? Knowing how responsible of a fishkeeper you are you must have a huge set-up in the works.

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2008 23:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Brengun

----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 187
Votes: 110
female australia au-queensland
Did anyone else notice the DW looks like a an American Bison?
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2008 00:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sora
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 96
Votes: 134
male usa
well it kinda does. but you have to really look.

The true test of character is not how much we know how to do, but how we behave when we dont know what to do.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2008 02:19Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
RickyM
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 101
Votes: 62
male canada
Cool!
How big is the Royal? I've seen one at around 12"
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2008 03:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male uk
easily a foot long, maybe a bit over..
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2008 03:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
On the giraffe cat housing front, 250 gals now, indoor pond in the planning stages. I eventually want them to live together and have a social life. Planning around 3000 gal. Also need somewhere to put the jerdoni, so the pond is kinda unavoidable at this point. Rescuing fish doesnt half get you into some trouble sometimes .lol
Post InfoPosted 27-Jan-2008 15:03Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
male usa us-delaware
Now that sounds like a quite a big project! How are you going to deal with evaporation and condensation? Whenever I hear of a large set-up that's probably what I think of first, after Mr. 4000 had to tear down years back; I have heard of other people that have run into similar problems in fish rooms. And by jerdoni, do you mean Hypselobarbus jerdoni (took me a minute or two to search that one up)? It looks to be a rather attractive fish!

Post InfoPosted 27-Jan-2008 18:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
male uk
Thinking of brick built, aluminium crossbars, and clear perspex cover plates.

Yup, thats the right barb. This was him a couple of months after first rescue, he originally had a split skull with flesh hanging out, and his barbs rubbed off, quite a few missing scales, he was around 9-10 inches. He was handed into an old aquaria at a garden centre where, deprived of a shoal, he battered himself against the glass with some force. I was given him (thats for god sake take him pleeeaase, they begged lol). To start him off I put him in a big shoal of rainbowfish to chill him out, which it did, and he stopped battering his brains out, and with a profusion of vegetable foods and cichlid pellets he started to grow and heal.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a245/longhairedgit/IMG_5344.jpg

And this is him more recently, pretty much twice the length, so fishbases estimations were a little um, on the light side, and four times the weight.He now has a shoal, though not at the time the picture was taken, but he chilled out when put in with the dollars and the tinfoil barbs.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a245/longhairedgit/fishpics006.jpg

As you can see, his build has changed a bit. Hes gonna be a really big fish.Well hes already the size of a smallish adult koi, but hes gettin bigger all the time. Barbs on him wont grow back though, hes just got some heavily vascularised veins on his nose where they once were, hes clear of infection though, hes had a double course of antibiotics, (probably just my paranoia about septacaemia)but I think the red veins are just gonna have to be lived with. Despite his size, ive got pro 3s on the water quality, not a blip above flat zero on anything except nitrate for months. Guess Ill always be able to pick him out of a shoal .lol Just look for rudolph.

Spotted a huge female, maybe over 2 feet at a p&h show tank recently, shes all alone apart from some really large and crappy tempered cichlids that she really doesnt want to be in with, and I might try to aquire her too, so the big indoor pond will eventually have to become a necessity. Shoaling fish gotta be in a shoal in my book, no matter how big they are. That pond is gonna be stocked before ive built it lol.

Post InfoPosted 28-Jan-2008 02:17Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
male usa us-delaware
Wow, that's an impressive fish, great job on the recovery. Good luck with your fish pond, it sounds like it'll be sweet!

Post InfoPosted 28-Jan-2008 02:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 478
Votes: 271
male australia
far out thats a big fish,what size was the tank thats this monster was in?
Post InfoPosted 28-Jan-2008 02:54Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
male uk
It was in a 55 gal when I rescued it from the shop, which was abusive, you should see this thing at speed, it can do a length of a 7 footer in about a second and a half. Now in a 250 awaiting me to get off my backside and reinforce the floor of the conservatory (big job requiring jackhammer) so I can start with the bricks. Still deciding on filtration though.
Post InfoPosted 28-Jan-2008 03:04Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male uk
LHG, are they some of your Cichlids?
Loving the Rainbow.
Post InfoPosted 28-Jan-2008 20:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
male uk
All the fish on my photobucket are mine apart from a giant gourami, which most definitely isnt lol. Hes at bristol zoo.
Post InfoPosted 28-Jan-2008 20:57Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies